The former St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital staff housing building on 113th Street and Amsterdam Avenue will reopen on June 1 as a luxury rentals building after a two-year renovation by Stonehenge Partners.

But while the building's location would make it ideal for Columbia students, monthly rents ranging from $2,500 for a studio to $12,000 for the penthouse could mean that only a limited number of the 95 units will be filled by students.

Stonehenge leased the property from in August 2012 through a joint venture with SL Green Realty Corporation. Prior to that, St. Luke's used the building to house staff.

Ofer Yardeni, the CEO and co-founder of Stonehenge Partners, said that the refurbished apartments will retain the building's original art deco decor.

"It's a real piece of Morningside Heights history and our goal in renovating the building was to revive its original grandeur, but with a contemporary twist," he said in an email.

Built in 1931, the building was originally known as the St. James House, and was designed by prolific New York architect George Frederick Pelham.

Yardeni said that the building's "quintessential pre-war details" like the lobby's terrazzo floor have been maintained.

Morningside Heights realtor Alex Galiceanu said that students might be able to afford the rooms by pairing up.

"Most students from Columbia really want to split that cost into two," he said.

Yardeni, however, said that Stonehenge has already received inquiries from interested students.

Realtor Kelly Killian, who also serves clients in Morningside Heights, said she would not rule out interest from Columbia students.

"I have clients whose parents will pay anything," she said.

deborah.secular@columbiaspectator.com  |  @DeborahSecular

Correction: A previous version of this article stated that Ofer Yardeni was the architect who designed the renovations. Spectator regrets the error.

City Housing retail and development Stonehenge