Updated: Feb. 28 at 5:35 p.m.

Dan Cabrera, a budget manager at Columbia Technology Ventures, was killed on Monday night in a hit-and-run in the Bronx. He was 38.

An NYPD spokesman told Spectator that Cabrera was hit by a southbound car at around 7 p.m. on Monday, and was pronounced dead on arrival at Columbia University Medical Center. Police are currently searching for the driver of the vehicle.

Cabrera, who is survived by his son, parents, siblings, along with nieces and nephews, is remembered by colleagues as hardworking and easygoing.

"Dan was such a hard worker. He was so committed and so devoted to Columbia and his job,"  Amy Bechelli, a data manager at Columbia Technology Ventures, said. "So many times I would come to work—and I'm on a later schedule so I would come in when he was taking his break—and he'd been there for hours. He would be there standing on the sidewalk going over his work, holding his spreadsheets."

Bechelli said that Cabrera was someone she could relate to in the office.

"He and I are both native New Yorkers, and even at Columbia we're such a rare breed. We were both huge sports fans and went to college out west and we had all those things in common," Bechelli said.

Anthony Cerone, director of finance and administration at Columbia Technology Ventures said that he has worked with Cabrera for nearly 10 years and admired his work ethic.

"I've been his supervisor since he got here 10 years ago," Cerone said. "He was extremely dedicated—he was usually one of the last guys, if not the last guy in the office."

"As a community, the University was shocked and is saddened to learn of the death of Daniel Cabrera," a University statement said. "He was a wonderful colleague and person. We extend our deepest sympathies to his family and friends."

Ismaila Fall, director of information technology at Columbia Tech Ventures, said that Cabrera was one of his closest friends at work. Fall described Cabrera as a great team player, who was hardworking and reliable.

Fall said that Cabrera was the kind of guy who was always smiling and that he talked frequently about his son.

"The whole office is really upset and shocked," Fall said.

news@columbiaspectator.com | @ColumbiaSpec

Correction: An earlier version of this story said that Cabrera was survived by a niece. He is actually survived by his parents, siblings, and his son, nieces, and nephews. Spectator regrets the errors.

daniel cabrera