Graphic by Tanya Lalwani

Updated: March 31 at 9:38 a.m.

Barnard students will be paying a little more in the 2015-16 school year.

Tuition and fees will increase by 3.4 percent in the upcoming academic year, Dean Avis Hinkson and Chief Operating Officer Rob Goldberg said in an email to the Barnard student body on March 26.

First-year students will pay $62,741 for the 2015-16 academic year, $2,041 more than a student entering last year.

"Costs of running institutions like ours across the country are growing," Goldberg told Spectator on Friday. "We need to maintain our facilities, recruit and retain our faculty, provide the academic services we provide, pay the staff benefits."

In the last five academic years, Barnard has raised the price of tuition by at least 2.9 percent each year. Barnard's tuition rose by 3.9 percent for the 2011-12 school year and by 2.9 percent for both 2013-14 and 2014-15.

"We try to keep the increases as low as we possibly can and I think this is in line with the past, a little bit higher, but it's not wildly out of bounds," Goldberg said.

These climbing costs have meant a net increase in tuition of $7,175 in past five years. A first-year Barnard student paid $55,566 in tuition and fees for the 2011-12 school year, while a first-year student in the class of 2019 will pay $62,741.

Barnard's peer institutions have been experiencing similar increases in costs in recent years.

Bryn Mawr College is increasing tuition by 5.4 percent for the upcoming academic year. This will make the costs of tuition, room and board, college fees, and student government dues $61,990 for the 2015-16 school year.

A Wellesley College student will also be paying 3.9 percent more for the 2015-16 school year than for the 2014-15 school year as tuition rises to $61,340.

Columbia College has yet to release the price of tuition and fees for the 2015-16 academic year.

caroline.andrews@columbiaspectator.com  |  @ColumbiaSpec

barnard Robert Goldberg tuition