Hyoun Ju Sohn, CC '13 and a Brown University graduate student, died on Tuesday morning after falling from the 12th floor window of a library at Brown, the Brown Daily Herald reported.

His death was a suicide, a spokesperson for the Providence Police Department said. He was 25.

Sohn, who was originally from South Korea, was in his first year in the doctoral physics program at Brown and was passionate about condensed matter physics, an email to Brown students announcing his death said.

He graduated from Columbia with a Bachelor of Arts in physics and served as a teaching assistant in introductory physics courses for professor Jeremy Dodd during his senior year, his LinkedIn profile said.

Between his time at Columbia and Brown, Sohn served as a research assistant at the University of Pennsylvania, where he worked on psychology studies.

Brown students held a vigil on Tuesday night in Sohn's memory, lighting candles and writing their hopes on pieces of paper, which they then placed into a fire.

Counseling and Psychological Services will be open from 8 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. on Wednesday and Thursday and from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Friday. An on-call clinician is available for students seeking support at (212) 854-9797.

Students can also reach out directly to Counseling and Psychological Services at (212) 854-2878, the Center for Student Advising at (212) 854-6378, or the Office of the University Chaplain at (212) 854-1493.

Nightline, the anonymous peer-listening hotline, is also open from 10 p.m. to 3 a.m. every night for students who wish to talk to someone about anything they are going through. Students can call Nightline at (212) 854-7777.

Check back for updates.

teo.armus@columbiaspectator.com | @teoarmus

obituary