Law School student Jackson Alberts has died, an email to Law School students from Law School Dean Gillian Lester announced on Thursday afternoon.

Alberts, who was in his third year at Columbia, was spending his last semester in an externship at the Securities Exchange Commission in Washington, D.C., through the Law School, according to the email.

According to his LinkedIn profile, Alberts worked with the Suspension Representation Project, which trains law students to represent public school students in suspension hearings.

He was also involved with Columbia Law's moot court program and its Journal of Transnational Law, where he served as a managing editor in the 2012-13 school year.

Beyond law, Alberts participated in community service, creating and running an SAT prep program for underprivileged high school seniors at UCLA and teaching English to Vietnamese children

Alberts grew up in California and graduated cum laude in 2010 from New York University, where he majored in history.

Group counseling will be available on Thursday until 8 p.m. in 546 Jerome Greene Hall.

Students can also reach out directly to Counseling and Psychological Services at (212) 854-2878 or the Office of the University Chaplain at (212) 854-1493. An on-call clinician is available for students seeking support at (212) 854-9797.

Nightline, the anonymous peer-listening hotline, is also open from 10 p.m. to 3 a.m. every night for students who wish to talk to someone about anything they are going through. Students can call Nightline at (212) 854-7777.

Check back for updates.

teo.armus@columbiaspectator.com | @teoarmus

Columbia Law School obituary