Students may now have their preferred names listed on CourseWorks, Canvas, class rosters, Student Services Online, public directories, and on their student IDs.

Columbia will allow students who go by names other than their legal names to indicate so on CourseWorks, Canvas, class rosters, Student Services Online, public directories, and on their student IDs.

The new Preferred Name policy was launched and brought into effect on Friday afternoon. Columbia students interested in having preferred names listed may request the change through SSOL, and Barnard students may fill out a form that will be submitted to and reviewed by the Registrar's Office.

"At a university of Columbia's size, creating this option required enormous collaboration across the many schools, and this has been an excellent collaboration," Executive Vice President for University Life Suzanne Goldberg said. "I think people around the university understand and appreciate how important it is to have this preferred name option and are very happy that it's now available to our students."

Students will be able to request new CUIDs and BCIDs with updated names and photos, but will not be able to change their UNIs.

The University will continue to use legal names on diplomas, transcripts, financial services documentation, financial aid, and athletics rosters.

At Barnard, legal names will also be used for documentation associated with Furman Counseling Center and Primary Care Health Services. Preferred names will not be read out during commencement, according to Dean of the College Avis Hinkson.

"The name that will be read will be the name that is in our program and the name that is on their diploma," Hinkson said. "We would still encourage students who feel that this is important for them to consider changing their name legally."

A University spokesperson declined to comment on whether preferred names would be read out during Columbia commencement ceremonies.

jclara.chan@columbiaspectator.com | @jclarachan

preferred names identification cards registrar Barnard College Columbia University