Barnard Student Government Association discussed working with CEB at their meeting Monday.

Did you miss the Barnard Student Government Association representative council meeting on Monday? Here's what you need to know.

Columbia Elections Board Considering Adding Barnard

Columbia Elections Board co-chairs Kate Welty, SEAS '18, and Sam Henick, CC '18, discussed the possibility of including SGA representatives in CEB.

CEB works with the Engineering Student Council, Columbia College Student Council, and General Studies Student Council to oversee their elections and ensure free and fair voting practices. Each council has representatives in CEB, which manages council elections, from the planning phases to determining the winners.

SGA elections are currently overseen internally. A collaboration with CEB would relieve SGA of this responsibility, potentially preventing members running for re-election from organizing the election. Because CEB derives its rules for each council's elections from that council's constitution, no significant changes to the SGA election procedures would be anticipated.

Several logistical problems were also discussed, including possible complications for Barnard students attempting to use LionLink, the current voting platform used in Columbia council elections.

However, Welty said that CEB is optimistic about potentially including Barnard.

"Adding Barnard would be just adding a fourth school [to CEB], and it'd be great for you all," she said.

Additional updates

SGA heard presentations from Nicole Javorsky and Katie Russell for sophomore class vice president. The winner will be determined at the latest by Wednesday evening, according to SGA President Shivani Vikuntam, BC '16.

Representative for Student Services Eilish O'Kelly, BC '18, said students are being asked to take an ACHA-National College Health Assessment Survey to provide Primary Care Health Service with information on student experiences with medical services and health issues. At least 600 students are needed to complete the survey, which is open until the end of February.

Capital Investment Fund applications, which are due Feb. 23, will soon be released to student groups. The CIF provides long-term funding to groups every 3 to 5 years to enable groups to invest in technology or equipment.

First-years can purchase tickets to the First-Year SnowBall, which will be held in Low Library on Feb. 27. Tickets to the event, which is open to first-years from all four undergraduate schools, are available online for $20.

ainsley.bandrowski@columbiaspectator.com | @ACBandrowski

sga