Millie Christie-Dervaux / File Photo

Alicia Lawrence and Josh Conway have been hired to fill central leadership roles in Barnard's Residential Life and Housing.

Barnard's Residential Life and Housing has named Alicia Lawrence as the new executive director of residential life and current Associate Director Josh Conway as senior associate director of residential life, according to an email sent from Dean of the College Avis Hinkson to the Barnard community on Friday afternoon.

Barnard ResLife has been operating without central leadership since last summer, when former Associate Dean for Campus and Residential Life Annie Aversa left the College. Lawrence, who previously worked at Rutgers University, will take on Aversa's former position, which was modified from an associate dean role to an executive director role.

"The search committee and I were impressed with her breadth of experience; commitment to student development, including working with underrepresented populations; innovations as a collaborator; and engagement with residential education," Hinkson said in the email.

Both Lawrence and Conway will begin their new positions on April 1.

The email can be read in full here:

Dear Barnard Community,

I am delighted to inform you that Alicia Lawrence will be joining us as our new Executive Director for Residential Life. She comes to Barnard from Rutgers University where she served in residential life and student conduct positions since 2011. Previously, she worked at Montclair State University and Ohio University. The search committee and I were impressed with her breadth of experience; commitment to student development, including working with underrepresented populations; innovations as a collaborator; and engagement with residential education. Additionally, Alicia is committed to staff professional development and has been very active with professional organizations that support residential life and other aspects of student affairs. She holds a B.A. in psychology and a M.S. in college student personnel administration, both from Canisius College in Buffalo, NY.

I am equally pleased to announce that our very own Josh Conway will be our new Senior Associate Director of Residential Life. Josh has been an Associate Director in our Residential Life Office since August of 2014, overseeing the residence halls affectionately called "the burbs." He has worked closely with RAs, hall directors, and his professional colleagues in Res Life to coordinate assessment projects, address conduct matters, and develop community through programming and advising. Josh is also responsible for managing the residential experience for pre-college programs.  He holds a B.A. in music from the University of North Carolina at Greensboro and a M.Ed. in higher education and student affairs administration from the University of South Carolina.

Alicia and Josh will assume their new positions on April 1 (no joke!), 2016. Please join me in congratulating and supporting them both as they take on these important roles.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to thank the staff in Residential Life for all their efforts over the past months, especially in light of these two significant vacancies. I appreciate their hard work, commitment, and sense of humor!

Respectfully,

Dean Hinkson

Barnard College reslife