Kent Hall, where the Office of Global Programs and Fellowships is located.

Dean of Undergraduate Global Programs and Assistant Vice President for International Education Michael Pippenger will be leaving Columbia this summer to become the Vice President and Associate Provost for Internationalization at Notre Dame, according to an announcement from Dean of Columbia College James Valentini.

Pippenger, whose last official day will be July 31, first came to Columbia in 2006 as the dean of fellowship programs. After being appointed dean of undergraduate global programs in 2011, Pippenger was responsible for overseeing Columbia's Office of Global Programs and Fellowships, where he helped develop the Presidential Global Fellows program and 14 new Columbia-sponsored global programs.

"We are deeply grateful for all that he has done to support global education for Columbia College, and indeed for the students and faculty in all four of our undergraduate schools, and for his work in advancing the global mission of the University," Valentini said in his email. "While we will be sad to see Michael depart, and will be losing a great colleague, we wish him well in his new role at Notre Dame."

The email can be read in full here.

Dear Students:

After a decade at Columbia, Michael Pippenger, Dean of Undergraduate Global Programs and Assistant Vice President for International Education, will be leaving the University to become Vice President and Associate Provost for Internationalization at Notre Dame, where he will lead Notre Dame's efforts to broaden the university's international programs and reputation through expanded international research, collaborative projects and strategic relationships with global partners. This is an exciting career advancement for Michael, and an opportunity made possible by his success at Columbia. We are deeply grateful for all that he has done to support global education for Columbia College, and indeed for the students and faculty in all four of our undergraduate schools, and for his work in advancing the global mission of the University. While we will be sad to see Michael depart, and will be losing a great colleague, we wish him well in his new role at Notre Dame.

Michael came to Columbia College in 2006 as our first Dean of Fellowship Programs. In 2011, he was appointed Dean of Undergraduate Global Programs, heading our newly-combined Office of Global Programs and Fellowships. In this role, Michael has worked closely with faculty to develop new study abroad programs, collaborated closely with partner institutions that provide opportunities to our students, and advised students in Columbia College, General Studies and The Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science on global opportunities, scholarships and fellowships. Under Michael's leadership, we have developed 14 new Columbia-sponsored global programs, affirming my statement that "College Walk doesn't extend from Broadway to Amsterdam, College Walk  extends around the world." Our students have also won many prestigious fellowships, including Rhodes, Mitchell, Goldwater and Truman Scholarships.

Michael has worked closely with faculty and students at Columbia and Barnard and has collaborated with administrators at all levels of Columbia University. He has developed lasting partnerships with colleagues around the world, and expanded Columbia's global opportunities in many ways. He was instrumental in the development of the Presidential Global Fellows program, now entering its third year, which gives rising sophomores the opportunity to explore the University's global network and bring their experiences back to campus to enrich the lives of all our students. He has also facilitated the implementation of our grant from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation to develop new academic programs with a global perspective. Before coming to Columbia, Michael was the director of scholarship programs at New York University and, before that, he was the manager of the foreign Fulbright scholarship program for Asia and the Pacific.

Michael's last day at Columbia College will be July 31. In the coming weeks, I, along with the the deans of Barnard, Engineering and General Studies, will be engaging the faculty and students in our four schools, along with administrators throughout the University and in our Global Centers, to consider all that we have accomplished during Michael's tenure and determine the best model for developing undergraduate global education at Columbia going forward. We will build on Michael's success to provide ever more exciting opportunities that empower our students to be active and effective citizens of our global community.

On behalf of everyone at Columbia, I want to thank Michael for his many contributions to the Columbia undergraduate experience and to wish him the very best in his new position.

Sincerely,

James J. Valentini

Dean of Columbia College and

Vice President for Undergraduate Education

Michael Pippenger Office of Global Programs fellowships columbia notre dame