Stephanie Fine and TJ Givens / Senior Staff Designers

The Office of Undergraduate Admissions announced on Thursday that it will no longer require applicants to submit SAT Subject Tests or writing portions of the SAT or ACT. Columbia will join the University of Pennsylvania as the only Ivy League schools without either requirement.

Previously, applicants had to submit at least two SAT Subject Tests as well as either SAT or ACT scores, including scores from each test's writing section. This requirement was among the most rigorous in the nation—only 13 schools require Subject Tests from all applicants.

In an announcement published on its website, Undergraduate Admissions outlined its approach to the redesigned SAT, which will affect applicants beginning in the Fall of 2017. Admissions will accept composite scores from both the traditional and redesigned SAT, but will not allow for composite scores across versions.

The announcement added that Undergraduate Admissions will maintain its "holistic review process" in evaluating applicants, which purports to not value standardized testing over any other aspect of an application.

Check back for updates.

Correction, June 9: A previous version of this article stated that Columbia would be the first Ivy League school without either requirement. In fact, the University of Pennsylvania will not require writing portions of the SAT or ACT for students applying for entry in Fall 2017. 

aaron.holmes@columbiaspectator.com | @AaronPHolmes

admissions sat