Judit Revesz will join Barnard in August as the college's ombuds officer.

Barnard has hired Judit Revesz as the college's official ombuds officer, according to an email sent from Barnard President Debora Spar on Wednesday.

"Judit will provide confidential and informal assistance to the entire College community," Spar wrote. "Specifically, she will serve as an impartial advocate for fairness and a source of information, and will be available to all members of the faculty, staff, and administration who have workplace concerns and to students who have concerns involving any member of the faculty, staff, and administration."

Revesz, who will officially begin in August, comes from the United Nations Office of the Ombudsman for Funds and Programmes, where she has worked as a case officer since 2011. She is a member of the International Ombudsman Association and has also worked in New York as a mediator on cases referred by the Small Claims Court.

Revesz's hiring comes after calls from the student body for the college to have a third-party mediator to manage conflicts between administrators, faculty, and students.

A Desserts After Dark survey hosted by Barnard's Student Government Association last spring indicated that 40 percent of respondents said that they or someone they knew would have found it beneficial if there was an ombudsperson and 42 percent of respondents said they could see themselves using an ombudsperson if there was one in place.

Read the email in full below.

To the Barnard Community,

I am very pleased to announce that Judit Revesz will be joining Barnard as Ombuds Officer, beginning Monday, August 1st. Judit comes to the College from the United Nations Office of the Ombudsman for Funds and Programmes, where she has been serving as a case officer since 2011, and prior to that, as a consultant in the UN Development Programme since 2006. In her role as case officer, she has provided impartial and confidential conflict-resolution services for the settlement of employment-related problems for staff members and other personnel. Prior to the UN, Judit worked as a facilitator and organization development consultant for numerous clients and gained experience in large group dynamics and conflict resolution methods.

Originally from Hungary, Judit graduated from ELTE School of Law in Budapest in 1998 and went on to practice litigation and corporate law. She has a master's degree in organization development from the American University/NTL Institute joint program and completed the program in conflict resolution at Teachers College. Subsequently, Judit served as a mediator in New York on cases referred by the Small Claims Court. She is also a member of the International Ombudsman Association.

At Barnard, Judit will provide confidential and informal assistance to the entire College community. Specifically, she will serve as an impartial advocate for fairness and a source of information, and will be available to all members of the faculty, staff, and administration who have workplace concerns and to students who have concerns involving any member of the faculty, staff, and administration.

We are so pleased that Judit will be taking on this new role, and that we will benefit from her considerable expertise.  I know that you will enjoy working with her when she arrives in August, and will enthusiastically join me in welcoming Judit to Barnard.

Most sincerely,

Debora Spar

jclara.chan@columbiaspectator.com | @jclarachan

Barnard College ombuds officer Judit Revesz