Anna Espinola / File Photo

Columbia College Dean James Valentini and School of Engineering and Applied Science Dean Mary Boyce announced Friday that they will look to two current administrators to officially fill two vacant positions.

Andrew Plaa has been appointed Dean of Advising and Kavita Sharma has been appointed acting Dean of the Office of Global Programs, according to an email sent to students on Friday afternoon.

With this announcement, Sharma—also the Dean of the Center for Career Education—will replace former OGP Dean Michael Pippenger, who left last month, as Plaa officially steps into a role he has filled as Interim Dean since the departure of Monique Rinere in September 2015.

Plaa will continue to oversee the Center for Student Advising, which serves undergraduates in Columbia College and the School of Engineering and Applied Science. In the past year, students expressed frustration with the University's lack of faculty advising.

"We are confident that Dean Plaa's years of experience with the Columbia College and Columbia Engineering academic policies and major requirements will be an asset to you and your classmates," the announcement said.

Despite past concerns about the resources staffing the Office of Global Programs, the deans sought to assure students that Sharma's dual role will not stretch the offices thin.

"Kavita's experience overseeing our Columbia Experience Overseas international internship program, along with her educational and professional background, make her well suited to lead our talented and committed global programs and fellowships staff," it said. "We assure you that Center for Career Education's services will not be affected by this transition."

aaron.holmes@columbiaspectator.com | @AaronPHolmes

cc seas OGP csa Kavita Sharma Andrew Plaa