Rya Inman / Senior Staff Photographer

Applicants who faced discipline "will not be at a disadvantage in the Columbia admissions process,” the statement said.

In response to protests regarding gun control by high school students, Columbia Undergraduate Admissions released a statement explaining that applicants facing “disciplinary action” due to peaceful protest will not be hindered during their admissions process.

In reaction to the high school shooting in Parkland, Florida, on Feb. 14, students across the country have protested for stricter gun control laws. These protests have included walkouts, causing some schools to threaten students with suspension.

The Office of Undergraduate Admissions posted the statement on Facebook on Saturday afternoon. Columbia joins a host of other colleges, including Brown University, Dartmouth College, and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, who have made similar decisions regarding peaceful protest.

“Students applying for undergraduate admission to Columbia College and The Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science who face disciplinary action for peaceful protest will not be at a disadvantage in the Columbia admissions process,” the statement said.

The Barnard College Office of Admissions followed suit with a similar Facebook post on Monday evening, stating that “Barnard applicants who choose to participate in responsible civic action will not be at a disadvantage in the admissions process.”

katherine.malus@columbiaspectator.com | @columbiaspec