File Photo / Lois Wu

The referendum, which was created by SGA after members of Columbia University Apartheid Divest asked for SGA’s support, was included as part of voting for next year’s elected student officials and passed with a 64.3 percent majority.

Barnard’s Student Government Association has voted to write a letter to the administration in support of a student-wide referendum calling on Barnard to divest from eight companies with ties to Israel.

The vote was held during the internal portion of Monday night’s meeting after SGA publicly denounced President Sian Beilock’s email from earlier in the day, in which Beilock wrote that Barnard would not take action to divest from the companies if asked to do so by SGA.

Over the next week, members of SGA will draft the letter before reviewing its language during the internal portion of next Monday’s meeting. If it is passed they will send the letter to administrators that evening.

In addition, since the referendum was only passed by a simple majority, SGA also voted to allow individual members the option to dissent and to include their own statement as an addendum to the document. As of last night’s meeting, no one on the representative council has announced plans to write their own dissent.

news@columbiaspectator.com | @ColumbiaSpec

SGA Referendum Israel Palestine President Beilock