Katherine Gerberich / Senior Staff Photographer

Hinkson presented the list of graduating seniors during Barnard's commencement ceremony earlier this month.

Dean of the College Avis Hinkson, BC ’84, will leave Barnard College after seven years in the position to become vice president of student affairs at Pomona College, according to an email sent by Barnard President Sian Beilock to the student body on Wednesday.

At Barnard, Hinkson worked to strengthen the college’s Title IX programming, developed a program for undocumented students and DACA recipients, and was a driving force behind recent changes to convocation. As a student, Hinkson had been a strong voice in favor of keeping Barnard and Columbia separate during talks of a merger.

Hinkson will begin at Pomona on August 1, where she will manage the college’s student life programming.

Executive Director of Residential Life and Housing Alicia Lawrence and Dean of Studies Natalie Friedman will jointly take over Hinkson’s responsibilities, and a search for her replacement is set to begin soon.

In her email, Beilock noted Hinkson’s commitment to the college as both an administrator and alumna.

“Although she is leaving us in this role, we know that she will always be a devoted alumna and an integral part of the Barnard community,” she wrote.

The full text of the email can be found below.

“Dear Members of the Barnard Community,

I am writing with news that is bittersweet. Today, Pomona College will announce the appointment of Dean of the College Avis Hinkson ’84 as vice president for student affairs and dean of students, effective August 1, 2018. This appointment is a true testament to Avis’s leadership and the significant work she has accomplished at Barnard over the past seven years.

As dean of the college, Avis has been a tireless advocate for our students, playing a leadership role in several key initiatives that have markedly improved the Barnard student experience. Among her many achievements, she has strengthened programming and support in the areas of Title IX and accommodations for individuals with disabilities. She developed a program for undocumented and DACA students that includes academic and personal advising, access to legal support, funding for internships and summer housing, and financial aid. She also reinvented Convocation as a College-wide event for students, faculty, staff, and alumnae with a nationally recognized alumna speaker. Throughout her tenure, Avis has always been ready to support students and colleagues alike, demonstrating her dedication to Barnard and her love for the job.

Avis has decades of experience in higher education, including prior work at Pomona, the University of California at Berkeley, Cornell University, and Mills College. With her return to Pomona, she will be the senior officer charged with creating and managing Pomona’s student life program, including comprehensive co-curricular programs and services.

We will begin the search for Avis’s replacement shortly and look forward to incorporating input from faculty, staff, students, and alumnae in this important process. In the interim, I have asked Executive Director of Residence Life and Housing Alicia Lawrence and Dean of Studies Natalie Friedman to jointly take on additional responsibilities in the Dean of the College area. I look forward to working with Natalie and Alicia and their dedicated staff.

I am grateful for Avis’s many contributions to the College. Although she is leaving us in this role, we know that she will always be a devoted alumna and an integral part of the Barnard community.

Please join me in thanking Avis for her extraordinary service to Barnard and in wishing her much success at Pomona and with all that lies ahead.

Sincerely,

Sian Leah Beilock”

ainsley.bandrowski@columbiaspectator.com | @acbandrowski