Courtesy of Barnard College / Courtesy of Barnard College

Cheryl Glicker Milstein, second from right, will succeed Jolyne Caruso-FitzGerald, left, as Chair of the Board of Trustees.

The Barnard Board of Trustees has elected trustee Cheryl Glicker Milstein, BC ’82, as chair of the board, according to an email sent by Barnard President Sian Beilock to the Barnard community on Thursday. Milstein will take the place of Jolyne Caruso-FitzGerald, BC ’81, who has chaired the board for eight years.

The chair of the board of trustees is responsible for the overall governance of the college, including selecting the president and other senior administrative and faculty appointments, overseeing strategic direction and large-scale initiatives, and supervising the college’s endowment and budget.

Beilock noted Milstein’s commitment to and role in the college, citing her involvement in various committees within the board, her six-year tenure as chair of the Barnard Gala, and the financial gifts that she and her husband Philip Milstein, CC ’71, gave in support of the Diana Center and the Cheryl and Philip Milstein Center for Teaching and Learning. Milstein was first elected to the board in 1999 and has served as vice-chair since 2010.

The $150 million Milstein Center—$25 million of which was donated by the Milsteins—is scheduled to open this fall, and will house Barnard’s library, the Barnard Center for Research on Women, the Athena Center for Leadership Studies, a computational science center, digital commons with five teaching labs and several flexible learning spaces, a café, and several departmental offices.

Beilock also thanked Caruso-FitzGerald, who has been a trustee since 2000, for her leadership and contributions to the college.

As chair of the board, Caruso-Fitzgerald led the college through a significant period of development, including the launch of The Bold Standard capital campaign, the development of a transgender admissions policy, the adoption of the Foundations curriculum, and the construction of The Milstein Center. She will continue serving on the board as a chair emerita.

“Both Jolyne and Cheryl deserve our deepest thanks for their devotion and service to Barnard, and I have no doubt Cheryl’s leadership will continue to fortify the College in the years to come,” Beilock wrote.

Read Beilock’s full email below.

Dear Members of the Barnard Community,

I am pleased to let you know that the Barnard College Board of Trustees has elected Cheryl Glicker Milstein ’82 P ‘14 as Chair of the Board, starting today. Cheryl was first elected to the board in 1999 and has served as vice-chair since 2010. In nearly two decades of service, she has lent her time, attention and philanthropic support to the College in many significant ways.

Cheryl has served as a member of the Board of Trustee’s Executive Committee, chair of the Committees on Development and Nominations, and member of the Committee on Campus Life. She served on the 2002 Master Plan Committee and was co-chair of the Barnard Gala for six consecutive years.

Cheryl and her husband Philip L. Milstein CC ’71 P ’14 generously supported the Diana Center, whose Black Box Theatre bears her name, and they provided the transformational naming gift for The Cheryl and Philip Milstein Center for Teaching and Learning. When the building opens in the fall, it will be an academic hub of the campus, linking departments and disciplines both physically and philosophically. Along with the College and the board, I am greatly looking forward to Cheryl’s ongoing leadership and support as board chair.

Cheryl will succeed Jolyne Caruso-FitzGerald ’81, who has led the board for eight years, and has served as a trustee since 2000. A collaborative, gracious, and wise leader, Jolyne sat at the helm of many significant decisions for the College: the launch of the current capital campaign, the transgender admissions policy, the adoption of the Foundations curriculum, and the decision to build The Milstein Center. As a trustee and proud alumna, she has spoken at Convocations and Commencements, and she has traveled the world as the best possible Barnard ambassador. Her leadership has meant so much to the College - to our students, our campus, and our entire community. While Jolyne will be stepping down as board chair, she will remain active as a beloved alumna and chair emerita, and we know that she will continue to be a vital part of the College she loves.

Both Jolyne and Cheryl deserve our deepest thanks for their devotion and service to Barnard, and I have no doubt Cheryl’s leadership will continue to fortify the College in the years to come.

Sincerely,

Sian Leah Beilock

President, Barnard College

susu.rawwagah@columbiaspectator.com | @ColumbiaSpec

Barnard Board of Trustees Cheryl Milstein Milstein Center