Ethan M Wu / File Photo

Harford served as GS' Dean of Students beginning in 2012.

Tom Harford, dean of students at the School of General Studies, has been removed from his position for what administrators have deemed “unacceptable” conduct, GS Dean Lisa Rosen-Metsch announced in an email to students Tuesday afternoon.

Prior to his appointment in 2012, Harford held senior administrative positions in academic and student affairs at Columbia’s School of Continuing Education. In 2014, he was honored at the Lavender Graduation, a ceremony that celebrates graduating LGBTQ and allied students, for providing guidance and raising visibility of resources for LGBTQ communities at Columbia.

A Columbia spokesperson declined to comment and did not provide specifics about Harford’s conduct beyond the information included in Rosen-Metsch’s email. Harford could not immediately be reached for comment.

In her email, Rosen-Metsch also announced the appointment of Ivonne Rojas, GSAS ‘12, who formerly served as Senior Associate Dean of Students, as the acting dean of students.

Read the full email below:

“Dear members of the School of General Studies community:

I am writing to let you know that I have removed Tom Harford from his position as Dean of Students after conduct that is unacceptable in light of his responsibilities was brought to our attention.

I have named Ivonne Rojas (GSAS ’12), formerly our Senior Associate Dean of Students, as Acting Dean of Students. Ivonne and our full complement of Advising Deans are available to address your questions or concerns as you return to General Studies or begin your coursework here for the first time. I am confident that the support our students need as the semester begins will be strong.

The intellectual accomplishment and personal fulfillment of our remarkable students is my foremost priority, and I look forward to a dynamic and productive academic year ahead.

Sincerely,

Lisa Rosen-Metsch

Dean, School of General Studies”

Check back for updates.

karen.xia@columbiaspectator.com | @columbiaspec

general studies gs tom harford columbia dean