Cherrie Zheng / Staff Photographer

These nine members are the largest cohort of new trustees since the College’s founding.

Nine new members were appointed to Barnard’s Board of Trustees, the College announced on Tuesday. These nine members are the largest cohort of new trustees since the College’s founding.

The board is tasked with governance of the College, and must approve the College’s annual budget and major policy changes, such as the 2015 decision to begin accepting transgender women starting with the class of 2020.

The cohort includes Ann Weinbaum Sacher, BC ’85; Dr. Merryl H. Tisch, BC ’77; Barrie Sardoff Roman, GS ’84; Dara Richardson-Heron, BC ’85; Philippa Portnoy, BC ’86; Craig Hunegs; Bill Hennings; Gregor Freund; and Laura Blankfein, BC ’75.

A committed member of the Barnard-Columbia community, Portnoy helped found the Athena Center for Leadership Studies and spearheaded the university’s first women’s conference in 2018. She ran the Latin American Aviation Finance Division at Citigroup before leaving to care for her family.

President of both Warner Brothers Television Group and Warner Brothers Digital Networks, Hunegs has also had prior involvement with the Barnard community, and is currently working to fund a scholarship at Barnard to support Los Angeles-area students who are the first to attend college in their family.

Several incoming trustees are involved in education, including Tisch—currently the vice chair of the State University of New York—having also served as chancellor of the New York State Board of Regents.

Sacher is a general surgeon and former professor of medical terminology, anatomy, and physiology at Lehman College. She currently serves on the board of Columbia University’s Global Mental Health Program, and recently completed her term on the board of a Westchester-based social services organization.

Blankfein serves as vice chair of the board of trustees for the New York City Charter School of the Arts, following his tenure as a trustee for the college from 2008 to 2011.

Helman also previously served on the board of a college, having previously been a trustee at his alma mater, Dartmouth, and at the Harvard Management Company. He has worked in venture capital with Greylock Partners since 1984.

Currently the CEO of Versal, an online learning platform, Freund has also worked in home security and communications technologies.

Heron is a leader in healthcare policy, currently serving as chief engagement officer for the National Institute of Health’s All of Us Research Program, which aims to develop the most robust set of biomedical data to date. She is also a physician.

Roman, a model-turned-computer scientist, has worked at IBM’s T.J. Watson Research Center, and has served on Barnard’s President’s Advisory Committee in Technology.

ainsley.bandrowski@columbiaspectator.com | @ColumbiaSpec

Barnard Board of Trustees