Jaime Danies / Senior Staff Photographer

The board of trustees is responsible for overseeing faculty and senior administrative appointments and managing the University’s endowment.

David J. Greenwald, LAW ’83, Victor H. Mendelson, CC ’89, Julie Jacobs Menin, CC ’89, Julissa Reynoso, LAW ’01, and Kathy Surace-Smith, LAW ’84 will serve as members of the Columbia board of trustees starting in September, the University announced Wednesday.

The board, made up of 24 members including University President Lee Bollinger, is responsible for overseeing faculty and senior administrative appointments and managing the University’s endowment. The five new members will join the board under newly appointed co-chairs Lisa Carnoy, CC ’89, and Jonathan Lavine, CC ’88.

Greenwald is a current member of the Law School’s Dean’s Council and a former member of the School’s International Advisory Board. He is the chairman of international law firm Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson, where he specializes in representing private equity clients and clients engaged in business combination transactions.

The Mendelson family has attended Columbia for over a hundred years, spanning four generations. The family established the Mendelson Center for Undergraduate Business Initiatives, a joint program between Columbia College and Columbia Business School. Mendelson currently serves as co-president of the HEICO Corporation, a Miami-based aerospace, defense and electronics design, and manufacturing company.

Currently the Commissioner of the Mayor’s Office of Media and Entertainment, Mein also serves as a member of Columbia College’s Board of Visitors and the college’s Alumni Association Board of Directors. She previously founded and ran Wall Street Rising, a non-profit dedicated to promoting business in lower Manhattan after 9/11.

Reynoso is currently a partner at the law firm Winston & Strawn, where she focuses on international arbitration and litigation. Formerly a United States Ambassador to Uruguay and Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for Central American, Caribbean, and Cuban Affairs, Reynoso advises governments, financial institutions, and companies on an array of transnational issues.

Surace-Smith serves as Vice President of NanoString Technologies Inc., a Seattle-based biotechnology company specializing in translational research and molecular diagnostics. Surace-Smith is also currently is the Vice Chair of the Board of the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center.

khadija.hussain@columbiaspectator.com | @ColumbiaSpec

board of trustees columbia