Athena China / Staff Photographer

The inclusion grants created by the Council on Diversity and Inclusion will be used to help students and faculty fund workshops and presentations, host speakers, and coordinate other events meant to promote increased inclusivity

In an email to the Barnard community on Tuesday, President Sian Beilock announced the creation of new inclusion grants to foster the creation of a more inclusive and equitable campus community, as well as an initiative to support Barnard students taking unpaid internships.

The inclusion grants created by the Council on Diversity and Inclusion will be used to help students and faculty fund workshops and presentations, host speakers, and coordinate other events meant to promote increased inclusivity at the college.

Additionally, Beilock wrote that the college has allocated $1 million over the next three years to expand financial support for students who take unpaid internships.

“This represents an important step toward ensuring that any Barnard student who wants an internship can afford to pursue the opportunities that align best with their academic and professional goals,” she wrote.

This announcement comes several months after a Spectator investigation revealed that students at Barnard may obtain a letter from the college that formally acknowledges educational value of the internship. This practice allows students to take internships without compensation or any actual credit towards a degree—a practice that New York law would otherwise prevent.

ainsley.bandrowski@columbiaspectator.com | @ACBandrowski

Inclusion grants unpaid internships Beilock