Katherine Gerberich / Senior Staff Photographer

The Office of Global Programs and Fellowships, which will begin a transition this fall to become the newly-formed Center for Undergraduate Global Engagement under Marquez, has been without a permanent dean for the past two years

Shannon Marquez, a former vice provost for international development at Drexel University, will serve as Dean of Undergraduate Global Engagement starting in early November, Columbia College announced this morning.

The Office of Global Programs and Fellowships, which will begin a transition this fall to become the newly-formed Center for Undergraduate Global Engagement under Marquez, has been without a permanent dean for the past two years following the departure of Michael Pippenger. Marquez will replace Kavita Sharma, who remained acting dean of the center while also serving as Dean of the Center for Career Education. Sharma will remain in her role as CCE dean.

Citing a lack of adequate staffing, a 2017 report commissioned by top administrators in Arts and Sciences raised concerns about the OGP’s inability to ensure that undergraduate students receive meaningful international experiences. The report, which reflects hundreds of interviews with administrators and faculty, also outlined serious concerns about the state of Columbia’s global education, focusing on low participation in study abroad programs and a lack of funding.

As part of the restructuring of the office, the College has revealed several long-term changes to the office’s mission. According to the announcement, the center will bring together undergraduate students and faculty to consult on global programs such as internships, academic study, and research, and serve as the “hub of global activity on campus."

Prior to her role at Columbia, Marquez served as a vice provost for international development and a professor of global and environmental health at Drexel University. She has also held faculty positions at the University of Iowa and the University of Pennsylvania’s Center for Global Health, among others.

karen.xia@columbiaspectator.com | @ColumbiaSpec

Shannon Marquez Center for Undergraduate Global Engagement Office of Global Programs