Courtesy of Columbia University / Courtesy of Columbia University

Hubbard’s tenure, which Bollinger referred to as a “historic period,” was notably marked by expansions in the Business School’s faculty size, financial aid, and space.

After 15 years as dean of Columbia Business School, Glenn Hubbard will be stepping down from his role at the end of the 2018-19 academic year, University President Lee Bollinger announced in an email this afternoon.

Hubbard’s tenure, which Bollinger referred to as a “historic period,” was notably marked by expansions in the Business School’s faculty size, financial aid, and space. In his statement, Bollinger credited Hubbard with the Business School’s impending move to the Manhattanville campus, stating that this step will be “the most powerful symbol of the progress” created by Hubbard’s work.

Bollinger’s email did not detail the reason behind Hubbard’s decision to step down.

In four years, the Business School will move its campus to the Henry R. Kravis Building and the Ronald O. Perelman Center for Business Innovation, both on the Manhattanville campus. Currently, the school is housed in Uris, which will now house certain departments in the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences. However, this move has generated significant controversy due to the lack of renovation and student input.

In his email, Bollinger also enumerated Hubbard’s numerous accomplishments in modernizing the Business School through politically and economically turbulent times. Hubbard increased the school’s focus on interdisciplinary programs and initiatives such as the Columbia Startup Lab, while also enhancing the core academic character of the institution and promoting scholarly theory, according to Bollinger.

Hubbard’s replacement has not yet been announced, but a committee will soon be convened to conduct an international search.

ariana.nakhla@columbiaspectator.com | @ColumbiaSpec

Hubbard Business School Academics