Katherine Gerberich / File Photo

Holly Tedder’s main’s role will involve facilitating Barnard’s compliance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.

Holly Tedder, TC ’16, will serve as the new ADA and Section 504 director for Barnard’s Office of Disability Services starting in January, the first step in a push to hire more ODS staff in the upcoming months, college administrators announced in an email on Wednesday.

She will fill the position vacated by previous ODS director Carolyn Corbran in July, which left the office with only interim coordinator Nicole Bartolotta and one other full-time staff member to serve the nearly 500 students registered with ODS.

Tedder, who earned an M.A. in higher and postsecondary education from Teachers College in 2016, previously served as the director of disability services at the Juilliard School, where she focused efforts on increasing accessibility initiatives and awareness training for faculty and staff.

Tedder’s main’s role will involve facilitating Barnard’s compliance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. This federal legislation protects people with disabilities against discrimination and provides them access to public services, public accommodations, and equal employment.

The email also announced that Tedder will be in charge of hiring more staff for the office to help coordinate student accommodations. The increase in staff, which is set to happen early next semester, will aim to improve the quality of Barnard's disability services in response to increased demand by the student body. Barnard students have previously expressed frustrations with inadequate support from ODS in securing necessary classroom and housing accommodations, which many have attributed to the office being understaffed and underfunded.

Additionally, the email expressed Tedder’s commitment to improving the process of implementing accommodations for students, faculty, and staff.

Read the full email from Co-Interim Dean Alicia Lawrence and Executive Director for Equity Molree Williams-Lendor below:

Dear Members of the Barnard Community,

I am delighted to announce that Holly Tedder will be joining Barnard as our new ADA and Section 504 Director leading the Office of Disability Services on January 2, 2019. Holly comes to the College with a decade of experience in higher education, the last six of which have been in disability services and equity. We are so pleased that she is taking on this very important role at Barnard as we work to expand the staff and services provided by the Office of Disability Services (ODS).

One of Holly’s first actions will be to hire additional staff to improve the delivery of disability services. As ADA and Section 504 Director, Holly will also be engaged in institutional strategic planning and implementation to assure Barnard’s compliance with the Rehabilitation Act and the ADA, and she will provide oversight and leadership for all disability related access and programming initiatives, including access and accommodations for students, faculty, staff and visitors. Faculty will benefit from enhanced access to ODS staff and assistance with implementing accommodations for students, especially in large class settings. ODS will provide guidance for faculty on disability services and, as always, will advocate on behalf of our students, in and out of the classroom.

Currently, Holly is serving as Director of Disability Services and Associate Registrar at The Juilliard School in Manhattan. She is the main point of contact for students with disabilities, assisting them with accommodation needs and handling issues of equity and access. She evaluates disability documentation, follows up with medical providers, and provides disability awareness and ADA/504 training to faculty, staff, resident advisors, teaching fellows and student tutors. In addition, she has helped spearhead institutional access initiatives such as the use of captions for online video content and large-print and Braille programs for performances. Overall, she frequently interacts with stakeholders across Juilliard’s campus to ensure that students with disabilities are being well-served.

Prior to Juilliard, Holly served as Admissions Coordinator and then Assistant Director of MBA Admissions at New York University Stern School of Business. She is also a member of the Association for Higher Education and Disability (AHEAD) and a member of the National Association of Student Personnel Administrators. Holly received a BA in Music from Rollins College, and a master’s in Higher and Postsecondary Education from Teachers College, Columbia University in May 2016.

We are delighted that Holly will bring her considerable expertise to the College. Please join me in enthusiastically welcoming her to Barnard.

Sincerely,

Alicia Lawrence

Co-Interim Dean

Molree Williams-Lendor

Title IX Coordinator, Executive Director for Equity

heather.loepere@columbiaspectator.com | @ColumbiaSpec

ODS Disability services New ODS director