Lola Lafia / Columbia Daily Spectator

The Milstein Center will be open 24/7 during reading days but will revert to original hours during finals.

Updated December 7, 2018 at 9:33 a.m.

In response to student concerns and feedback from Barnard’s Student Government Association, the Milstein Center for Teaching and Learning will offer extended hours throughout reading and finals week and next semester, administrators announced in an email on Thursday.

The Milstein Center, which opened in September, currently closes at midnight on Sunday through Thursday, and at 6 p.m. on Friday and Saturday. The Center will be open 24/7 during reading days and finals. Beginning Jan. 22, the Center will be open until 2 a.m. from Sunday to Thursday, and until midnight on Friday and Saturday.

Milstein’s extended hours received significant support from students. For Cyarra Tate, BC ’22, additional hours during reading days offer an excellent opportunity to study for finals.

“I think it’s very valuable to have it open 24 hours during reading week because I think a lot of students will take advantage of that. I know I will,” Tate said.

Orla Kelly, BC ’21, said that she felt the extended hours reflected the college’s respect for student needs and demands.

“Residence halls have 24 hours quiet hours, so it seems super reasonable that Barnard would expect and understand that people would be on different schedules,” Kelly said. “[For next semester], I’m super excited because midnight always seems too early, but 2 a.m. seems reasonable. I should be going to bed by 2 a.m.”

Read the full e-mail from Co-Interim Deans of the College Alicia Lawrence and Natalie Friedman below:

Dear Barnard Community Members:

As we enter the last few days of the Fall semester and look to the beginning of the Spring semester, we are pleased to announce that in addition to The Milstein Center and the Library being open 24/7 during Reading Days/Final Examinations, the College is also expanding The Milstein Center’s hours beginning next semester.

After spending the Fall semester evaluating The Milstein Center activity and hearing from students who have been requesting longer hours (a special thank you to SGA for helping to solicit student feedback and share information with administration), we have decided that beginning Tuesday, Jan. 22, the building will be open longer every day of the week. Here is the schedule for the remainder of this semester and the new schedule for next semester:

Reading Days/Final Examinations Milstein Center hours

The Milstein Center will be open 24/7 for reading days and final examinations from 8 a.m. on Tuesday, Dec. 11 through midnight, Thursday, Dec. 20.

Note: Make certain to have your Barnard ID in order to go in and out of the building during these extended hours.

Spring semester 2019 Milstein Center hours

The new hours for The Milstein Center beginning Tuesday, Jan. 22 are:

Sunday through Thursday: 8 a.m. – 2 a.m. Friday: 8 a.m. – midnight Saturday: 10 a.m. – midnight

The Library/Circulation Desk’s new hours also beginning Tuesday, Jan. 22 are:

Monday through Thursday: 9 a.m. – 11:45 p.m. Friday: 9 a.m. – 8:45 p.m. Saturday: 11 a.m. – 5:45 p.m. Sunday: 10 a.m. – 11:45 p.m.

Thank you to our operations team for all they’ve done this semester on the opening of The Milstein Center. It is a wonderful addition to our campus.

Sincerely,

Alicia Lawrence

Co-Interim Dean

Natalie Friedman

Co-Interim Dean

shubham.saharan@columbiaspectator.com | @ColumbiaSpec

Milstein Center Finals week