Caroline Dailey / Columbia Daily Spectator

The Inclusion Grant is one of the various initiatives started by the Council on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion to expand the College’s diversity and inclusivity initiatives.

Three students, three professors, and several staff members were named inaugural recipients of the Barnard Inclusion Grant, which funds community initiatives that foster an environment of inclusion on campus, in an email sent to students from interim chair of the college’s Council on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Yvette Christianse on Wednesday.

The grant is one of the various initiatives started by the Council on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion last fall to expand the college’s diversity and inclusivity initiatives. Students, faculty, and staff are able to submit grant proposals to receive funding for events such as speakers, workshops, and performances to promote a more inclusive Barnard community.

Among the first recipients are Shreya Sunderram, BC ’19, for her “Inclusion and Equity Fellows” proposal which builds on the legacy of past events, such as the Bold Conference, which serves as a space for faculty, students, and staff to discuss issues of diversity and inclusion in the classroom.

Also included in the list of grant recipients are Martha Tenney and Shannon O’Neill of Barnard Archives and Special Collections, whose proposals support various initiatives for the Barnard Organization of Soul Sisters, a student organization focused on building a sisterhood between black women at Barnard and Columbia.

Another round of proposals will be accepted during the spring 2019 semester.

Read the full email and list of recipients below:

Dear Members of the Barnard Community,

We are pleased to announce the Barnard Inclusion Grant’s first cohort of recipients. The grant is a new initiative of Barnard’s Council on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion created to finance projects and events that help enhance inclusion efforts across our community.

This year’s impressive recipients represent a range of projects and the diversity of thoughtful and innovative proposals that were submitted to the Council. Please join me in congratulating the following inaugural recipients of Barnard Inclusion Grants:

Shreya Sunderram ’19, for her proposal, “Inclusion and Equity Fellows,” a program to fund events that will help foster conversation about diversity and inclusion across campus, featuring events such as the Bold Conference and Bold Legacy Events.

Martha Tenney and Shannon O’Neill of Barnard Archives and Special Collections to support the “BOSS 50th Anniversary Reunion Reception,” in celebration of the Barnard Organization of Soul Sisters’ (BOSS) 50th anniversary, enhancing a space for BOSS alumnae and current members to connect and network.

Professor Elizabeth Castelli and BCRW for “Faculty Resisting Gendered State Violence and Structures of Criminalization,” a series of public lectures and convenings to engage the Barnard community in conversation about state violence against women, girls, trans, and gender-non-conforming people of color.

Staff members Melanie Hibbert, Rachel James, Karl-Mary Akre, and Ruby Mastrodimos representing several departments within the Milstein Center for their collaborative project, “The Media Center Emerging Filmmaker Mentorship Program,” a semester-long program that will focus on providing funding, mentorship, and project support to underserved undergraduate filmmakers.

Professors Cecelia Lie-Spahn and Pam Cobrin, Deans Wendy Garay and Giorgio DiMauro, and Tasneem Ebrahim ’20 for “Working with International Student Experience: Pedagogy and Belonging,” a two-pronged project that will include a panel discussion and faculty workshop to strengthen Barnard’s service to international students.

Miriam Neptune, Madiha Choksi, Martha Tenney, Shannon O'Neill, Sylvia Korman (Post-baccalaureate DH fellow) of The Digital Humanities Center and the Barnard Archives and Special Collections for their proposal, “Summer Digital Humanities Research Fellows,” a summer program that will encourage and support independent research and digital project creation by students, staff, faculty, and community partners.

Jasmin Torres ’21 for “Book Vouchers and Textbook Affordability,” a grant to fund textbook vouchers for low-income students.

We are excited to support these proposals through the Barnard Inclusion Grant and look forward to the positive impact that they will have on our community. You will be hearing more about all of these projects from the grantees and in the Council’s quarterly newsletter.

Please join me in congratulating the inaugural grant recipients. We will be announcing a call for another round of proposals during the Spring semester and encourage everyone to apply.

As always, please feel free to reach out with any questions, to diversitycouncil@barnard.edu.

Sincerely,

Yvette Christianse

Interim Chair, Council on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion

Staff writer Shubham Saharan can be contacted at shubham.saharan@columbiaspectator.com. Follow Spectator on Twitter @ColumbiaSpec.

Inclusion grant Beilock Council on Diversity and Inclusion Barnard