Katherine Gerberich / Senior Staff Photographer

This year’s acceptance rate has dropped by 2.4 percent percent from that of the class of 2022, which had previously been the most selective class in Barnard’s history.

Barnard’s admission rate for the class of 2023 has fallen to 11.3 percent, a new record low for the college.

Barnard sent out admissions decisions on Friday to the 9,319 prospective students who applied to the class of 2023, the greatest number of applications in Barnard’s history, up from 7,897 last year. This year’s acceptance rate has dropped by 2.4 percent from that of the class of 2022, which had previously also been the most selective class in Barnard’s history.

56 percent of this year’s admitted students identify as women of color, and 13 percent percent are first-generation college students—the most diverse class ever. Students were admitted from from 49 states and 51 countries.

Vice President for Enrollment Jennifer Fondiller, BC ’88, said in a press release announcing the new class: “We are thrilled to welcome these dynamic young women to our college. These incredible students are emblematic of the Barnard spirit – curious, passionate and determined to make an impact on the world.”

Staff writer Heather Loepere can be contacted at heather.loepere@columbiaspectator.com. Follow Spectator on Twitter @ColumbiaSpec.

Barnard Admissions rate 11.3 Record Low