Courtesy of / Barnard College

As Dean of the College, Grinage will be responsible for overseeing a wide array of student facing programs and offices, including the Office of the Dean of Studies, Student Life, and Beyond Barnard.

Leslie Grinage will serve as Barnard’s new Dean of the College, following a nearly yearlong search since the departure of Avis Hinkson, BC ’84, last August, President Beilock announced in an email sent to the student body on Monday.

The position of Dean of the College has been filled by interim deans Dean of Studies Natalie Friedman and Executive Director of Residential Life and Housing Alicia Lawrence since Hinkson stepped down after serving for seven years, during which she worked to strengthen the college’s Title IX programming and developed a program for undocumented students and DACA recipients.

Grinage will officially begin her term as Dean on August 1, 2019.

Grinage holds a B.A. in Spanish from Davidson College, an M.S. in from Texas A&M University, and Ed.D. in Higher Education Leadership and Policy from Vanderbilt University, for which she researched academic advising and student success in small liberal arts environments. A first-generation college student, she also hails from New York

Currently the Associate Dean of Students at Davidson College, a small liberal arts college in Davidson, North Carolina, Grinage additionally serves as Davidson’s Title IX Coordinator, playing a critical role in ensuring that students, staff, and faculty are cognizant of their rights under Title IX. Before that, Grinage served as the Assistant Dean of Students at Duke University, though her office faced significant criticism for having a “guilty until proven innocent” mindset throughout the student conduct process.

As Dean of the College, Grinage will be responsible for overseeing a wide array of student facing programs and offices, including the Office of the Dean of Studies, Student Life, Beyond Barnard, Residential life and Housing, and Title IX and Equity. As a senior level administrator, she will report directly to Beilock and will be a driving force in determining student-related policy and strategic goals.

Read the full email from Beilock below.

Dear Members of the Barnard Community,

It is my great pleasure to announce that Leslie Grinage has been named the next Dean of the College. Chosen from a remarkable group of candidates, Dean Grinage brings an impressive set of skills, passion, and experience to this vital role.

From the start, the search advisory committee was charged with finding a candidate who would help shape student life at an important moment in the College’s history. We sought a dynamic, collaborative, and creative leader to foster an exceptional undergraduate experience — someone who would serve our students as an inspiring and respected ally; partner with Barnard’s extraordinary faculty and staff; and continue to strengthen connections with the greater Columbia University community. Dean Grinage is the perfect person to contribute to student living and learning at Barnard.

Since 2016, Dean Grinage has served as Associate Dean of Students at Davidson College, her alma mater, in North Carolina. In this role, Dean Grinage works with students from a variety of backgrounds, alongside faculty and staff, to ensure student success both inside and outside the classroom. She manages programming for Orientation and Family Weekend; oversees student support areas such as academic access and disability resources, case management, health education, and student health and counseling; serves as staff liaison to the Teaching, Learning, and Research Committee of the Davidson College Board of Trustees; and is the college’s Title IX Coordinator.

Prior to her role at Davidson, Dean Grinage worked at Duke University. At Duke, she served as an Assistant Dean of Students and in roles related to leadership and service programs, academic advising, and student conduct.

Dean Grinage received her B.A. in Spanish from Davidson College, M.S. in Educational Administration (Student Affairs Administration in Higher Education) from Texas A&M University, and Ed.D. in Higher Education Leadership and Policy from Vanderbilt University. Her doctoral research focused on academic advising and student success networks in a small liberal arts environment. Dean Grinage is also a native New Yorker and a first-generation college student.

I would like to take this opportunity to offer my very special thanks to co-interim Deans Alicia Lawrence and Natalie Friedman who seamlessly headed the Dean of the College area this past academic year. Their leadership has been greatly appreciated and they will continue in their interim roles until Dean Grinage joins us on August 1, 2019.

I would also like to thank the Dean of the College search advisory committee, led by Vice President for Enrollment Jennifer Fondiller ’88 and all of the faculty, students, and staff who provided input during this process. It truly was a community effort that resulted in Dean Grinage’s hire.

I am very much looking forward to working with Leslie and I hope that you will all join me in warmly welcoming her to Barnard.

Sincerely,

Sian Leah Beilock, President

Staff writer Heather Loepere can be contacted at heather.loepere@columbiaspectator.com.

Staff writer Marianna Najman-Franks can be contacted at marianna.najmanfranks@columbiaspectator.com. Follow Spectator on Twitter @ColumbiaSpec.

Avis Hinkson Dean of the College Leslie Grinage Title IX Dean of Studies Student Life Beyond Barnard