Athena Chin / File Photo

The Milsteins have given more than $100 million to Columbia University in support for clinical and educational programs.

The Vagalos College of Physicians and Surgeons has received $32.5 million from the Louis and Gloria Flanzer Philanthropic Trust, headed by members of the Milstein family, to fund an endowment for its cardiology division, the school announced last Monday.

The Milsteins have given more than $100 million to Columbia University in support for clinical and educational programs, including $25 million toward the construction of the Milstein Center for Teaching and Learning, which houses Barnard’s new library and history department, among others, and $20 million toward the construction of a hub for P&S and GSAS biomedical sciences.

In 2017, P&S also received a $250 million naming gift from the Vagelos family that eliminated student loans for all medical students, following New York University School of Medicine’s similar announcement that it would be loan-free. Also that year, the Columbia University Irving Medical Center received a gift of $700 million from the Irving family for the advancement of research and clinical programs for cancer treatment.

This is the first gift the medical school has received devoted solely to funding a department or division, so in recognition of the gift, the cardiology division will be renamed the Seymour, Paul and Gloria Milstein Division of Cardiology, the announcement said.

Dr. Allan Schwartz, the chief of cardiology at CUIMC, said that the donation will have a lasting impact on the work of the University and the lives of its patients.

“This remarkable gift will ensure that we continue to attract the nation’s most talented cardiologists and researchers to Columbia, and it will enable new discoveries that improve outcomes for patients with heart disease,” Schwartz said.

Staff writer Emma James can be contacted at emma.james@columbiaspectator.com. Follow her on Twitter at @emmawolfjames.

Physicians and Surgeons Vagelos Milstein Center