Caroline Dailey / Senior Staff Photographer

The funds from the grant will go to support students entering the newly created 4+1 program, which enables Barnard students to receive both a Bachelor of Arts and a Master of Science in five years.

Barnard College and Columbia’s School of Engineering and Applied Science have been awarded a six-year grant from the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation to support accelerated programs for women in engineering to pursue graduate-level study, Barnard announced on Wednesday.

The funds from the grant will go to support students entering the newly created 4+1 program, which enables Barnard students to receive both a Bachelor of Arts and a Master of Science in five years. Students who enroll in the program, beginning in the fall of 2019, can attain a M.S. in chemical engineering, biomedical engineering, or industrial engineering and operations research. Barnard is one of the first women’s colleges to offer such a program.

The Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, which awarded the grant, is a philanthropic, non-profit grant making institution which seeks to support diversity initiatives in scientific institutions and research in STEM.

According to Barnard president Sian Beilock, the partnership between the Sloan Foundation, Barnard, and Columbia Engineering will aim to increase access to the engineering pipeline for women.

“Barnard and Columbia Engineering are intent on making an impact in the number of women completing their engineering graduate studies,” Beilock wrote. “With the Sloan Foundation’s support...we seek to encourage women of all backgrounds to explore their interest in engineering and to pursue careers in…[these] fields.”

Barnard also offers several other 4+1 programs with Mailman School of Public Health, the School of International and Public Affairs, the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences’ Quantitative Methods in the Social Sciences, the Harriman Institute, and access to the 3+2 program offered by SEAS which also allows students to graduate with a B.A. and a B.S. in five years.

Staff writer Heather Loepere can be contacted at heather.loepere@columbiaspectator.com. Follow Spectator on Twitter @ColumbiaSpec.

Barnard SEAS Engineering