Courtesy of Facebook / Courtesy of Facebook

Dominic DeLotto, a rising second year dental student in the College of Dental Medicine, has died, Dean of the College of Dental Medicine announced in an email on Wednesday evening.

The email did not specify the cause of DeLotto’s death.

A native of Charlottesville, Virginia, DeLotto joined Columbia last August as a transfer student from the University of Virginia.

Stohler added that DeLotto was talented, caring, and well-liked by his classmates.

Read the full text of the email below.

Dear CDM Students, Faculty and Staff,

It is with deep sadness and regret that we write to inform you of the sudden passing of one of our students. Dominic DeLotto was a rising second year dental student from Charlottesville, VA. Dominic came to us from University of Virginia last August. He was a talented and caring student, well-liked by his classmates. We are all feeling this loss deeply.

We wish to convey our heartfelt condolences to the DeLotto family for their terrible loss and ask that you keep them in your thoughts in the days ahead.

Sandra Bernal Garcia, Associate Dean of Student Affairs

Dana Wolf, Associate Dean for Pre-doctoral Academic Affairs

Christian Stohler, Dean

Information about Columbia’s Counseling and Psychological Services can be found here, and about Barnard’s Furman Counseling Center can be found here. Columbia Nightlineprovides free, anonymous peer listening services and can be reached at 212-854-7777 from 10 p.m. to 3 a.m. A full list of GS and Columbia health and well-being resources can be found here.

Staff writer Shubham Saharan can be contacted at shubham.saharan@columbiaspectator.com. Follow her on Twitter at @ShubhamSahara18.

Dominic DeLotto