Jaime Danies / Senior Staff Photographer

The new council will comprise of two representatives from each of the 18 schools in the University and will serve as an advisory committee to the Alumni Association.

The Student Affairs Committee of the University Senate, in conjunction with the Columbia Alumni Association, announced the creation of the Student Leadership Advisory Council, a University-wide organizational unit intended to enhance student-alumni relations, in an email on Thursday afternoon.

SAC, an organizational unit made up of 24 student senators from across all 18 schools of the University, serves as a liaison for matters of student life including housing, clubs and other extracurricular activities, and student concerns in the community. Most recently, SAC has been involved in the heated debate surrounding the lack of transparency in the passage of the graduate-faculty relationship policy.

SLAC, which will comprise of two representatives from each of the 18 schools in the University, will serve as an advisory committee to the Alumni Association and absorb some of the alumni relations responsibilities held by SAC.

According to SAC co-Chair Jaqueline de Vegvar, the creation of this new committee stemmed from SAC’s extensive collaboration with the CAA, particularly gaining traction following the release of joint projects such as CU there!, a worldwide networking initiative for students and alumni, and One Columbia, a community-building event held during the spring semester. She added that these new positions will serve as leadership positions for those particularly interested in building the community.

“We felt that having a separate set of students who are targeting programs, providing initiatives, being ambassadors for students, working across multiple schools, would be helpful and continue what we’ve seen as a very positive [experience with CAA],” Vegvar said.

The 36 members of the council will be comprised of representatives from every school within the University, the first of whom will be appointed by each school’s student council and student affairs committee?. The second representative will be chosen by a self-nomination process, after which all applications will be reviewed and chosen by the CAA’s alumni and student relations committee.

Applications for SLAC are currently live. The first meeting will take place on Sept. 23.

Senior staff writer Shubham Saharan can be contacted at shubham.saharan@columbiaspectator.com. Follow her on Twitter at @ShubhamSahara18.

University Senate Student Affairs Committee Student Leadership Advisory Council SAC SLAC