Athena Chin / Staff Photographer

Since her arrival to the college in February 2017, Green has overseen the implementation of several new initiatives and programs at the Milstein Center for Teaching and Learning.

Dean of Barnard Library & Academic Information Services Jennifer Green will leave Barnard on December 18 for a position at the University of Chicago, Provost Linda Bell announced in an email to Barnard faculty and staff on Wednesday.

Since her arrival to the college in February 2017, Green has overseen the implementation of several new initiatives and programs at the Milstein Center for Teaching and Learning, which opened in September 2018. Among other projects, she has worked with Barnard faculty to establish the Academic Centers in Milstein, developed a staffing model and leadership team for the Centers, and partnered with students to create the Barnard first generation low income lending library.

In her new role, Green will serve as the Associate University Librarian for Research & Learning at the University of Chicago Library.

“We are grateful for Jennifer’s leadership over the past two years during an important time of transition for the College,” Bell wrote. “During her tenure, Jennifer helped our community better understand that today’s libraries are open, accessible, and creative spaces where information is delivered in a way that is engaging, collaborative, and sparks new thinking.”

The college will begin searching for a replacement for Green and is currently working on transition plans, which will be announced in the coming weeks.

Read the full email below.

Dear Faculty and Staff,

I am writing with news that Jennifer Green will be announced today as the Associate University Librarian for Research & Learning at the University of Chicago Library. We are grateful for Jennifer’s leadership over the past two years during an important time of transition for the College.

Jennifer joined the College in February 2017 as Dean of Barnard Library & Academic Information Services. In addition to coordinating the library’s moves during the construction of the Milstein Center for Teaching and Learning, she also helped lead our efforts to establish the Academic Center programs for the Milstein Center, working closely with faculty and staff to create efficient spaces and new services. As part of this work, Jennifer developed a staffing structure for the Centers that fosters deep partnerships between Academic Center Directors and BLAIS, and provides a sustainable model for growth.

During her tenure, Jennifer helped our community better understand that today’s libraries are open, accessible, and creative spaces where information is delivered in a way that is engaging, collaborative, and sparks new thinking. She built a strong leadership team and expert staff to work alongside the Academic Centers in Milstein and help advance the new scholarship that they afford. During her tenure, Jennifer also deepened our connections with Columbia University and worked with our students to create new programs and services, such as the Barnard FLIP Library.

We will begin a search for her replacement and are currently working on transition plans, which we will announce in the coming weeks. Jennifer’s last day at Barnard will be Wednesday, December 18. Please join me in thanking Jennifer for her service to the College and wishing her well in her new role at the University of Chicago.

Sincerely,

Linda A. Bell

Provost and Dean of the Faculty

Senior staff writer Juliette Verlaque can be reached at juliette.verlaque@columbiaspectator.com. Follow her on Twitter @j_verlaque.

Barnard BLAIC FLIP library