Helen Yang / Senior Staff Illustrator

Ellis Shapiro-Barnum

Brandon Shi is a sophomore in Columbia College majoring in economics-political science and concentrating in ethnicity and race studies. He is a Leo from the San Francisco Bay Area who is still getting used to the concept of distinct seasons. On campus, he serves on the Queer Trans Advisory Board within Multicultural Affairs and is a class rep on the Columbia College Student Council. He spends way too much time in Dodge and Ref, but occasionally balances it out by getting off campus and enjoying the city. Brandon was a former Opinion deputy editor for Spectator.

Rommel Nunez

Sayali Nagwekar is a first-year master’s student at the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, studying quantitative social science. She has previously lived in both Mumbai and Spain and is fascinated by the similarities between New York and Mumbai. During her time as an undergrad, she wrote opinion pieces for the college newspaper and headed her department’s magazine. Currently, she conducts research on social media, data, and politics. Sayali is into pop culture and languages and writes about international student issues, psychology, politics, and global events. If she had free time and no grad school, she would finish her list of movies and explore New York’s speakeasies.

Ellis Shapiro-Barnum

Jacob Mazzarella is a political science major in the School of General Studies. Jacob arrived on Columbia’s campus this autumn after spending the first two years of the dual B.A. program at Sciences Po in France, where he studied politics and law. While in France, he was also able to travel to 12 countries in two years. On campus, Jacob can usually be found at Avery, more often than not watching the latest Arsenal F.C. highlights.

Rommel Nunez

Brian Siegel is a sophomore at Columbia College studying sustainable development and computer science. Raised in Westchester, New York, he will lie and tell you he’s from New York City. When he’s not doing (espresso) shots, he can be found sleeping or passed out. In his free time, he is probably working because the grind never stops. He doesn’t believe in astrology, but of course he’d say that—he’s such a Gemini. You can contact him and tell him he’s wrong at bms2196@columbia.edu.

Follow Spectator on Twitter @ColumbiaSpec.

discourse debate contributor opinion students