Brenda Huang / Senior Staff Illustrator

Courtesy of

Liam McGrane: A proud Brit, and now for three years a proud New Yorker, he spends his time between classes cartooning, reading biographies, and putting the finishing touches on his first full-length play “Premature Immaculation”. Liam studies computer science. He also serves as vice president of campus life on the General Studies Student Council. Liam hopes that you will enjoy his cartoon windows into the world, and if that happens to be the case, you can find his other cartoons on Facebook and Instagram @liammcgranecartoons.

Emma Gometz: Emma Gometz is a senior at Columbia College majoring in evolutionary biology of the human species. She currently loves being a paleoecology research assistant at Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory, but in her spare time, she’s a playwright and cartoonist who loves trying to be funny. Find more of her comics and mutual aid fundraisers on Instagram @gymclothescomix!

Courtesy of

Changu Chiimbwe: Changu Chiimbwe is a sophomore at Columbia College studying English literature. When she isn’t rushing to complete assignments in order to leave room in her schedule for daydreaming, she spends her time writing poetry and short stories. She was a 2018 American Voices nominee, and her work has appeared in midnight & indigo literary journal, the Rising Phoenix Review, Blue Marble Review, and elsewhere. Her column, At the Point of Intersection, seeks to explore how current political and social issues are connected to the Columbia student body and how they affect the ways in which we navigate our journeys here.

Courtesy of

Kwolanne Dina Felix: Kwolanne Felix is an ambitious student organizer, historian, and Passion Planner enthusiast. As a junior at Columbia College, she lives at the intersections of sexual identity, gender, race, immigration status, and class, and she has a lot of opinions about them. She studies history, focusing on the African diaspora, and is a project assistant for the U.S. African American Racial Redress Network. She is the founder of the Inclusion and Diversity Task Force of Columbia College Student Council and loves advocating for policies to support marginalized students. Her column Intersectionali-Tea runs on alternate Sundays.

Courtesy of

Artem Ilyanok: Artem Ilyanok is a first-year at Columbia College who intends to study a mix of history, philosophy, and computer science. Artem will be writing about the fundamental issues facing American democracy and what you can do to help address them. He sincerely hopes that his articles challenge you in some way, and perhaps even convince you of something. You can contact him at artem.ilyanok@columbia.edu or via Facebook Messenger, which he (strangely) insists is the best messaging platform. Something You Should Know runs on alternate Mondays.

Cour

Jacob Mazzarella: Jacob Mazzarella is a senior enrolled in the dual bachelor’s program between Columbia and Sciences Po Paris. This semester, Jacob will be writing about the intersection between Columbia’s campus life and public policies with a global impact, with a particular interest in the gap between the intentions of institutional policies and their impact on human lives. When away from his laptop, you can catch Jacob wandering Central Park with a camera in hand. Feel free to contact him at jbm2184@columbia.edu with tips or your favorite English Premier League highlight reels—no goals scored against Arsenal FC. Jacob’s column Columbia in the World runs on alternate Thursdays.

Courtesy of

Elizabeth Burton: Elizabeth Burton (she/her) is a senior at Barnard. Since this is her senior spring, she wants to try to make amends after her column last semester. Call it sentimentality or fear of the administration’s retaliation. If you’d like to complain about her column or offer her a job, you can find her at emb2288@barnard.edu or @ELLZABETH99 on Twitter.

Courtesy of

Venice Ohleyer: Venice Ohleyer is a “senior” in “Columbia College” studying “creative writing” and “film and media studies.” The Invisible Hand is a satire column that runs every other week. Venice can be reached at venice.ohleyer@columbia.edu or found on @effervenice on insta or @veniceohlyere on Twitter.

Courtesy

Pastor Isaac Scott: Pastor Issac Scott is a Justice-in-Education scholar at the School of General Studies, a three-time Change Agent Award winner, multimedia visual artist, and human rights activist. He is also an associate pastor at God’s Touch Healing Ministry in East Harlem and serves on Manhattan Community Board 11. Pastor Scott believes that art, in every form, can effectively change perceptions and conquer stigma. This is why he founded Confined Arts, an organization focused on justice reform through the power of creativity and education. Through his own lived experiences, Pastor Scott understands the need for realistic representations of individuals like himself who have been previously convicted of a crime. Through this lens, Pastor Scott’s column will focus on the morals of the city as we strive toward a future of inclusion, equity, and equality for all.

Courtesy of

Roosevelt Human Rights Center: The Roosevelt Human Rights Center is a part of the Roosevelt Institute of Columbia, a student-run progressive policy think tank. As a center, it spends most of its time working on research and advocacy projects involving human rights issues with a particular focus on issues that affect the local and campus communities. Roosevelt’s column, Fireside Chats—a reference to its organization’s namesake, Franklin D. Roosevelt—aims to introduce the Columbia community to salient human rights issues as well as the tangible policies needed to address these issues. The center hopes that its column will convince students that good public policy creates real change.

Follow Spectator on Twitter @ColumbiaSpec.

columnists bios Spectator people