They always say, "You are what you eat." And in the case of Columbia students, this may be bad news. The results of a health inspection on Friday of John Jay Dining Hall are in—and let's just say they aren't too appetizing. The NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, which grades based on an A to C scale, determined the dining hall to have 28 violation points (a C is graded as 28 points or higher).

Because John Jay scored higher than 14 points on this initial inspection, this will count as an ungraded inspection. The inspector will come back sometime in the next couple months for an unannounced inspection, at which point John Jay will get its grade. As of tonight, the A grade from 2013 is still displayed in the dining hall.

Read the specifics of the Friday results below:

Sanitary Violations1) Cold food item held above 41 ºF (smoked fish and reduced oxygen packaged foods above 38 ºF) except during necessary preparation.2) Food not cooled by an approved method whereby the internal product temperature is reduced from 140 ºF to 70 ºF or less within 2 hours, and from 70 ºF to 41 ºF or less within 4 additional hours.3) Appropriately scaled metal stem-type thermometer or thermocouple not provided or used to evaluate temperatures of potentially hazardous foods during cooking, cooling, reheating and holding.4) Plumbing not properly installed or maintained; anti-siphonage or backflow prevention device not provided where required; equipment or floor not properly drained; sewage disposal system in disrepair or not functioning properly.

I don't know about you, but I never want to hear the words "plumbing," "backflow," and "not properly drained" when describing where I eat my meals. At least now I know why my smoked fish at John Jay is always so warm. Search for John Jay Dining Hall on the offical health department page for more info.

ew gross smoked fish backflow