brettmiller13 / tumblr

Some people have significant others, and that's like really, really great for them. Some people also have yachts. But if you're like the rest of us and don't have your [stuff] together, you may be finding yourself asking the age-old question, "What am I going to do on Valentine's Day?"

While drinking alone and having a good vent/sob session with your small platoon of cats is a completely valid plan (you do you), Valentine's Day falls on a Saturday this year. After two days of talking about your problems (Thursday and Friday), you're probably running out of things to discuss with Mr. Tibbs, Fluffles, and Rambo II, and they are certainly getting tired of meowing along in solidarity.

So give your furry animal companions a break and get out of the house. Read on for flirty and fun Valentine's Day activities.

Me (You) Time

Suitemates/roommates going out? Are you awkwardly single in a squad of couples? Sucks to be them, am I right? You're unburdened by the necessity to venture out into the bitter cold of New York winter. They'll probably not have any fun and be completely miserable. You, meanwhile, will stay in, where it's nice and warm, and have the whole suite/room to yourself. Think of all the activities!

You could get started on that essay that's due Thursday! Or the problem set on Tuesday! Maybe even do some light textbook reading if you're feeling really adventurous. This is you time. Treat your self! Dim those lights, put on a Marvin Gaye mix, open up Chrome Incognito and throw away those headphones (so you can watch "Pacific Rim" on full volume as God intended).

Or you can just PTFO around 10 p.m., then wake up disoriented and confused at 4 a.m. because your body isn't used to sleeping for more than 6 hours.

A Night on the Town

It's 9 p.m., Feb. 14, and you're sitting in your dorm room trying not to tear up after watching "Love Actually" for the fifteenth time that day. "Should I go to bed?" you ask yourself. Tomorrow will be a new day, when the Valentine's decorations will be replaced by Jesus dying for your sins and other Easter paraphernalia, like bunnies and eggs. Well, should you just go to bed?

Did America "just go to bed" when Hitler had Europe in a vice grip? For the non-history majors: No. We buckled on our big-boy pants and beat the Nazis into submission with bald eagles and freedom, because America.

If FDR can stand up to Hitler, you can find it in you to go out and have some fun on Valentine's Day as a strong, independent student who don't need no (wo)man.

You're feeling lonely, you're feeling sad. So is everyone else! And they'll be at bars, feeling lonely and sad together. Put on your fancy "going out clothes" (or comfy sweats) and drag your friends to the collective pity party.

For all the underclassmen who can't "legally" drink, Westside Market is always popping. Try not to have too much fun or eat too much free cheese.

Hail-Marry Pass

Valentine's Day isn't over till slightly after 11:59 p.m., Feb. 14. Maybe you're single now, but who says you have to stay single? Valentine's Day is a day like any other (albeit with more romantic cultural connotations) and who knows? You could find the love of your life sometime between 12 a.m. and that 11:59 p.m. deadline.

But Mr/Mrs. Right isn't just going to walk right up to you and fall for you, no. As an old coach once told me, "Success comes before work? Only in the dictionary." (It's because the letter "S" comes before the letter "W"—don't worry, it took me a while, too).

So, if you want a special someone on V-Day, you're going to have to do some good old-fashioned work. You could always try talking to those you're interested in (or those standing behind you in the dining hall omelette line), but talking is hard. Impersonal communication is so much better, and more effective.

So bright and early Saturday morning (you could start earlier but, like, procrastination), fire up the trusty old internet, log into your Tinder/Grindr, and start messaging everyone. The fisherman (or woman) that casts a wide net is more likely to catch a fish. Sure, some of the fish might not be like grade-A sushi quality fish, but they're still fish and you've got a hungry family to feed. Beggars can't be choosers.

Pro-Tip: Try posting a funny Facebook status about being single or having no plans, you may get a few bites.

love dating valentine’s single what most of us will be doing netflix