A&E
via the Leila Heller Gallery

Whether you're cuffed or not, Valentine's Day can easily slip into cliché. Look beyond overpriced chocolates and even more overpriced dinner menus, and you'll find a trove of stimulating things to do in New York that'll take your V-Day to the next level.

38 Love Party at China Chalet
Situated in a Chinese restaurant in the heart of the Financial District, this sugar-sweet dance party (run by a group of Sarah Lawrence alumni) showcases some of New York's cutest producers. Reclusive PC Music affiliate QT is the main draw, but stay for Doss, whose show at MoMA PS1's Warm Up series last summer brought euphoric rave back from the grave.

38 Love Party takes place at China Chalet, 47 Broadway, from 10 p.m. to 3 a.m. Tickets are $15 in advance/$20 at the door.

Ganzeer: All American
If you're trying to impress bae with your cultural acuity or simply want to glower about the capitalist commodification of romance and relationships, this exhibition from acerbic Egyptian street artist Ganzeer is the place to be. As eye-popping as it is caustic, Ganzeer's art acidly critiques US consumerist culture in a way that'll almost make you forget about the $18.9 billion Americans will spend today (truth!).

Ganzeer: All American is showing at the Leila Heller Gallery, 568 W 25th Street. Entry is free.

Holy Mountain Journey VI
Valentine's Day can be stressful enough, but combine it with Fashion Week and you've got a recipe for heart attacks, literal or otherwise. Fortunately, nightlife queen Ladyfag is back with another edition of her legendary party Holy Mountain. The flyer shows her taking a bite out of a bloody heart, so think of this as your anti-Valentine.

Holy Mountain Journey VI takes place at Slake, 251 W 30th Street, from 11 p.m. Entry is $10.

2015 Oscar Nominated Animation Shorts
Featuring nine short films that are adorable and heartbreaking in equal measure, this 70-minute presentation shows off the diverse talents of this year's Academy Award nominated animators. Perfect for a romantic date—or a much needed escape from the tyranny of hearts and flowers.

2015 Oscar Nominated Animation Shorts are playing all day at IFC Center, 323 Avenue of the Americas. Tickets are $14.

valentine’s dating nyc Academy Awards