via visitithaca.org / screenshot

On campus

Last night the NYPD confirmed that SIPA professor Joann Baney , Business ’87, was arrested and charged with assault. The arrest took place late on Feb. 14, and the complaint was made by Baney’s boyfriend. On Sunday Baney was arraigned in New York City criminal court, and she is set to appear in court again on Feb. 27.  The Chinese Students Club’s Lunar Gala will take place this weekend. According to Director Jenny Liu, CC ’16, “The show reveals how Asian culture is pervasive around the world, exhibiting this through various styles and settings. It reveals that this culture is worldwide and anyone can adopt it.” The event will showcase performances by students groups and Joseph Vincent. 

Outside the bubble 

Someone needs to call up Al Gore because climate change isn’t going away anytime soon. Mayor de Blasio’s office released the New York City Panel on Climate Change report yesterday, which stated that the sea levels are rising and the city will have to be prepared for possible risks. According to the report, temperatures are expected to rise by 5.7 degrees Fahrenheit by the 2050s, which will lead to heat waves. (They sound nice right now, but they’re terrible for the environment).  Football season may be over, but the players at the University of Tennessee are under a great deal of heat. Allegations of aggravated rape have been made against several of the university’s athletes since September. Just last week a defensive back was “indicted for aiding and abetting another person on two more counts of aggravated rape.” Apparently Ithaca has finally given up. Ithaca, New York’s travel website tourism site has lost hope that people will be visiting anytime soon, so instead of trying to convince people to bear the cold upstate, it suggests that tourists visit the Florida Keys . The website advertised the sunny Keys and even linked to the tourism website: “Due to this ridiculously stupid winter, Ithaca invites you to visit the Florida Keys this week. Please come back when things thaw out. Really, it's for the birds here now.” 

Tweet of the day 

Last night SIPA held a debate on the topic: "This house believes national security trumps human rights." Is anyone else having high school debate flashbacks?

Around the ivies 

Princeton has just received the largest donation in the university’s history . Musicologist and philanthropist William H. Scheide left a collection of rare books and manuscripts that are worth $300 million to the school. Scheide graduated from Princeton in 1936.  After being placed under scrutiny, possibly due to a reported sexual offense, Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity at Cornell is now free from suspension . The chapter was put on interim suspension earlier in February and can now “resume all activities except social activities, and may not host guests at the house other than for chapter business.” The university has not stated that the sexual offense allegation, which was reported on Feb. 1, was the direct cause of the suspension, which was issued the following day. 

What's happening today

The United Nations Studies and the International Conflict Resolution specializations at SIPA are hosting an event called “Syria: A Chance for Peace? The Perspective of the United Nations Special Envoy.” The event will include a discussion with the U.N. special envoy for Syria and a question-and-answer period. To attend, students with CUID must preregister. The talk will be in 1501 International Affairs Building from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.  Are you dying to see PrezBo today? He will be introducing a discussion with journalists Claire Shipman and Katty Kay today from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. in the Low Rotunda. The event will focus on the book "The Confidence Code: The Science of Art of Self-Assurance—What Women Should Know ."

wuc wake up call Al Gore keys football debate so many ivies