City
Courtesy of Flickr Commons

At Columbia, you don't want your daily life to be purely academic; you'd like to know more about what happens around the globe on a daily basis. But we understand that you might have a packed schedule. So for the sake of your time and convenience, we'll be running a weekly global news roundup so that you can stay on top of what's going on outside the Columbia and the New York bubble.

While some people are still in shock about the beheading of Japanese journalist Kenji Goto in the video released by ISIS, a new propaganda video of ISIS shows at least 21 Kurdish Peshmerga soldiers caged, paraded down the streets of Iraq, and threatened with execution. A passenger ferry accident in Bangladesh on Sunday resulted in at least 68 deaths after being hit by a cargo vessel. While the search for missing people is in progress, the death toll is increasing daily.

(CNN)

A follow-up report of the Sydney siege on 15 December 2014 showed that the three deaths could have been avoided if the system could have considered Monis as a potential threat to the community. Prime Minister Tony Abbott is very disappointed and considering toughening citizenship laws . Starting in 2006 with whistleblower Hervé Falciani leaking some of HSBC’s cover files, there has been a series of tax-avoidance issues surrounding the bank. HSBC Holdings PLC’s Chief Executive Stuart Gulliver is believed to be sheltering millions of pounds in a Swiss account through a Panamanian company and remains tax domiciled in Hong Kong this week .

(MarketWatch)

A round of applause goes to Birdman for becoming the biggest winner in Oscar 2015! And definitely for what Neil Patrick Harris has sacrificed for his hosting career . Kristen Stewart became the first U.S. actress to win the prestigious French equivalent of an Academy Award for her role in film drama Clouds of Sils Maria . A California startup will be allowed to advertise a mail-order DNA test that screens for a rare genetic condition after a U-turn by U.S. regulators .
Bangladesh Kristen Stewart HSBC Global world news