wellwomanlife Instagram

The first week of classes can be exhilirating, amazing, and a lot of fun. But the first week can also be exhausting, and can often go hand in hand with the beginning of anxiety, stress, nd other feelings.

And that's OK: just remember, you have people you can talk to here — and you're not alone. Here's a list of resources in case you ever need to talk about mental health (and do check out an exhaustive list of all campus resources from our Orientation Guide here.)

Counselling and Psychological Services

Counselling and Psychological Services covers a whole bunch of mental health services including ADHD evaluation, couples counselling, drop-in counseling, eating disorder support, group therapy, individual counselling, LGBTQ concerns, multicultural concerns, psychopharmacology, religious and spiritual concerns, trauma support. Find them on the 8th floor of Lerner, but make sure you call beforehand 212-854-2878 to make an appointment. They're open Mondays to Thursdays 8:00 a.m. - 6:30 p.m., and Fridays 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Office of the University Chaplain

Although this isn't necessarily a medical service, the Office of the University Chaplain offers various services and discussion groups for religious, racial, and gender-based concerns. You can call Jewelnel Davis, the University Chaplain at 212-854-1493. There are also on-call clergy and life counsellors available. Check them out here.

Nightline

Nightline is an anonymous and confidential phone service you can ring for a chat between the hours of 10:00 p.m. and 3:00 a.m. any night. Call them at 212-854-7777 and follow them on Facebook for more info.

Alice! Health Promotion

Alice! is all about getting the word out about student health and branches off into some handy services like Stressbusters and BASICS (we'll talk about those some more below.) You can see all of what Alice! does here, but services include online sleep assessments, drug and alcohol support, massages, an education on contraception. They're open Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

Stressbusters

Part of Alice!, you'll Stressbusters at loads of campus events giving out free neck and back rubs! Stressbusters also host their own events like their Melt Away Mondays — first and third Monday of each month in the first floor lounge of Wallach from 7:00pm - 8:00pm — and Wind Down Wednesdays — weekly massages from 4:00pm - 5:00pm in Lerner East Ramp Lounge. Also, when things get super stressed out during reading week, Stressbusters set up in Butler 203, and massage tired library-goers from 6:00pm - 10:00pm. Follow their Facebook page to see if you can catch them at other events.

BASICS

Another Alice! service, BASICS provides non-judgemental counseling for alcohol and drug issues. It's not going to force you to sober up or report you for anything; it's there to listen as you talk out your concerns. If you want to self-refer, fill out an online self assessment for either alcohol or marijuana here. BASICS is open to all schools of Columbia and is located in the Alice! office on the third floor of John Jay Monday to Friday from 9:00am to 5:00pm.

The Rosemary Furman Counseling Center

Located in 100 Hewitt (enter through Reid on Barnard's campus), is Furman, Barnard's counselling services. Watch their intro video to find out how it works, and call them at 212-854-2092. Furman also provides listening hours. You don't need an appointment and your session can last as little as 5 minutes or long as 30 with a Furman counselor. Go over to Plimpton on Mondays or Elliot on Thursdays from 7:00 - 9:30pm for listening hours.

Well Woman

Well Woman promotes healthy living at Barnard. Well Woman hosts workshops that focus on healthy eating, safe sex, and stress, has a peer education program where students volunteer to discuss issues related to health and wellness, and has a number of other events that promote wellness, including a craft club and gynecological education sessions. Well Woman has office hours—with tea!—on Mondays through Friday from 1 to 4 p.m. (with full-time staff), and 7 to 9 p.m. Sunday, and Tuesday through Thursday.

Sexual Violence Response

SVR offers constant 24/7/356 support on their helpline 212-854-HELP. Their "mission to eradicate all forms of gender-based violence" manifests itself in "trauma-informed, confidential support through crisis counseling/intervention, advocacy, prevention, and outreach focused on interpersonal violence and harassment." Barnard students: head to 101 Hewitt between 9:00am and 5:00pm Monday through Friday. Columbia students: visit Lerner, Suite 700 between 9:00am and 6:00pm.

mental health taking care of yourself is important