via instagram / thebagelstore

If you'd like to take a bite of the Big Apple with you when you leave, it's crucial that you learn a few simple recipes now.

This week, Spectrum staff blogger, senior, and culinary amateur, Maura Barry-Garland, is learning how to make New York-style bagels, so she won't have to resort to buying bags of frozen bagels at Walmart after she graduates. Instead, she'll have something to cook for her parents so they won't kick her out of their basement.

1. The first step to making bagels is gathering the ingredients. You'll want dry active yeast, bread flour, sugar, salt, some sort of oil(?), a few beers, a mixing bowl, a pot suitable for boiling, an oven sheet, a dish towel, and some measuring cups and spoons.

The beers are not actually required for the recipe, but you'll want something to do while you wait for your dough to rise.

2. Let 2 teaspoons of yeast and 1.5 tablespoons of sugar sit in a half cup of warm water for 5 minutes, then stir until dissolved.

Delicious! Not vomit-esque at all.

3. Combine 3.5 cups of flour with 1.5 teaspoons salt in the mixing bowl. Add the yeast and sugar water mixture. Pour in 1.5 more cups of warm water and mix.

The result will have the consistency of Flubber without the charming color.

4. Take the dough and knead it *~vigorously~* for 10 minutes. This is a great stress-relieving activity which I like to do instead of studying for midterms. You can knead the dough on a flour-covered countertop, but I'm choosing to use a plastic sheet because I live in EC and unspeakable things have probably happened on these countertops. We don't knead to go into that though. ;)

5. Lightly oil the mixing bowl and set the dough in it, then cover with a damp dishcloth.

6. Let the dough rise for 1 hour. Once the dough has risen, make like the Marching Band and punch down.

7. Let your poofy dough rise for 10 more minutes, again covered by the dishcloth. Shape the bagels into discs, then punch your flour-covered fingers right through the center of each one and pull apart until they're hollow in the middle. Place them on an oiled cookie sheet and cover with the damp dishcloth. Wait for 10 more minutes to admire your work.

Such beauties.

8. The most important step in making New York style bagels is the boiling! This process forms a crusty shell around a soft inside, just like you'll form a strong shell when people in your hometown repeatedly ask you why you don't have a job.

9. Bring a pot of water to boil and immerse the bagels. Let them boil for 2 minutes, then flip and let them boil for two more. While you wait, preheat the oven to 425? (Fahrenheit, because this is America.)

via shortmom / Tumblr

10. Take the bagels out of the water and lay them on a baking sheet.

Some of them might be pretty messed up, like the second one on the top row. That's okay: there will be a few weirdos in every batch (I'm one for the class of 2016).

11. I chose to top the bagels with salt and either a combination of garlic and onion powder or an herb mix. You can top yours with nothing, anything, or everything.

12. I baked the bagels for 20 minutes. I then had to flip and bake for 10 more in order to cook them all the way through; your mileage will vary, depending on the age of your oven.

13. This is how the finished bagels look. Just like with your academic career, you tried and so no one can say anything negative about the results, especially not your parents. If you really mess up, you can always just go to Absolute… while you still can.

bagels chef ny eats recipes