via wikkicomms

University of Missouri's Jessie Hall.

In response to the recent events at the University of Missouri, the Columbia University College Democrats group has decided to change their original plans for their general body meeting tonight and to take a moment to respect the students on the Mizzou campus and the Columbia students who have been affected by the situation. The organization sent a blast email to their listserv stating:

"Instead of having a circle on coded language and race in the 2016 election cycle, we will be having a discussion on the events that are unfolding on the University of Missouri and Yale campuses. This past week student protests on both campuses gave rise to serious questions about race relations, free speech, and safe space on college campuses. We would like to invite you to join us in a discussion exploring these issues, how they affect the lives of students of color, and how they have been politicized. Whether you want to use the space to vent, learn, or ask some questions, all students are welcome, tonight in the Satow Room of Lerner at 9 pm."

Some Columbia students will also participate in a national blackout tomorrow by wearing black to show their solidarity with Mizzou.

Continue to check Spectrum for more information about what resources will be available to the Columbia community in response to the situation at the University of Missouri.

For those who are unaware of the events occurring at Mizzou, this is what has happened in the in the past month:

A black student organization, The Legion of Black Collegians, reported an incident in which a seemingly inebriated white man shouted racial slurs at the group before homecoming.

A group of black students felt that Mizzou President Tim Wolfe did not handle the situation and past situations regarding racial prejudice in the past properly. To demonstrate their dissatisfaction, they surrounded Wolfe’s car at homecoming.

Jonathan Butler, a student who was bumped by the car, began a hunger strike on Nov. 2.

A portion of the football team announced that they would go on strike until President Wolfe resigned.

President Wolfe resigned on Nov. 9.

Anonymous threats were directed at students of color on Mizzou’s campus in the days following.

CU Dems mizzou