via Wikimedia Commons

Updated, 12:14 p.m.: In a statement posted last night by Columbia, administrators believe all students and faculty at Columbia's Reid Hall are safe.

Here's the statement:

"Columbia has a longstanding academic presence in Paris at Reid Hall in the Montparnasse District, which is home to Columbia Global Center Europe. President Bollinger and other members of the university administration have been monitoring events and are in close communication with our staff in Paris. Based on rapid outreach there, we believe that all Columbia students and faculty at the Paris Global Center are safe and accounted for. We continue to monitor the situation through all of our schools and will update this information if appropriate. With the rest of the world, we watch unfolding developments with the greatest concern; our thoughts are with the people of Paris and all those affected by these events."

In an email sent out earlier tonight, Dean Hollibough, the Barnard dean for international and global strategy, confirmed that the Barnard students currently studying abroad in Paris are safe. Earlier today, the Paris area underwent what appears to be an act of coordinated terrorism. In the email, Hollibough states that the Barnard administration has been in touch with the students currently studying abroad in Paris -- all are safe. Columbia has yet to give the status of Columbia College students studying abroad in Paris. See the full text of Dean Hollobough's  email below.

"Dear Members of the Barnard Community,

You may have already heard about the situation unfolding in Paris. Our thoughts are with all of those who have been affected by these terrible events.
We have been in touch with each of our students studying abroad in Paris and have confirmed that they are all safe. We will continue to monitor the situation closely, and if you are aware of other members of the Barnard community who are currently traveling in Paris, please alert us so that we may contact them as well. 
If you have been affected in any way by these tragic events, please know that staff members in Human Resources, the Furman Counseling Center and the Deans' Office stand ready to assist faculty, staff and students, as needed.

Sincerely,

Lisa Hollibaugh, Dean for International and Global Strategy
Wendy Garay, Dean for International and Intercultural Student Programs"

Check back for updates.