Academics
via mnperegrinations / tumblr

For my final auditing adventure of the semester, I thought about what classes were the kind that triggered crying sessions in the 4th floor Butler bathrooms.

I've heard about the terrors of Ordinary Differential Equations and about the torture that comes with Linear Algebra, but ultimately I decided to test out Organic Chemistry with Christian Rojas.

I heard that if you have to take an Orgo class, you should take it with Rojas because he tries to make the material approachable, so (fingers crossed) my class visit wouldn't cause me emotional distress. (Spoiler alert: I played myself).

10:57 a.m.

Well, everyone looks happy. I took chemistry in my sophomore year of high school and we had to sew a mole to represent the scientific unit (Avogadro's number). I'm not quite sure that we'll do that in class today, but a girl can dream.

11:00 a.m.

Whoa, okay, Rojas, we're just diving right in. Alkyne, alkene, alkynono, alkynana. Yup, got it.

11:04 a.m.

I'm going to be honest: we've been here for four minutes, and I have no clue whats going on.

via monadoguy / Tumblr

11:06 a.m.

"Class, what kind of alcohol is this? You don't have to say it to anyone, just say it to yourself." Is this Orgo or a memoir about going to a frat party? Will report back.

11:09 a.m.

"I'm not sure if I drew enough carbon but if there aren't, there should be." I got you?fake it 'till you make it. That's a motto I apply to nearly every aspect of my life. I'm doing it right now by writing this article. If you haven't noticed, I'm literally just in some random class writing my thoughts. This isn't journalism, but you're digging it anyway.

Still 11:09 (it's been a busy minute) a.m.

He drew the chemical compound of a bud worm's sex pheromone! Hot ;)

11:21 a.m.

Overheard: "I'm just confused" and then a sigh. Welcome to the state of mind that I've been in for the past 20 minutes.

11:22 a.m.

"If you can't make carbon-carbon bonds, you're not going to make it very far as an organic chemist." And with that, my Orgo dreams crumble before my eyes.

11:24 a.m.

One bromine walks into Mel's and says, "What's up, bro?" Yeah, I don't know enough about bromines to make this joke.

11:31 a.m.

Rojas mapped out this seven-step conversion plan, and this girl next to me just started laughing and said, "I'm screwed for the final." Same.

11:34 a.m.

I guess we're not playing with the bonding toys on the table.

11:35 a.m.

I see how the above sentence may sound bizarre. Here's a picture for reference:

11:37 a.m.

He's taking a break to explain "the artist formerly known as Prince." It's was way more understandable than the equations.

11:39 a.m.

Building blocks in chemistry are not what you're hoping they are.

11:43 a.m.

He has said "anti," like, three different times. Is Rihanna coming? Does he know Rihanna?

11:44 a.m.

The oxygen-oxygen bond is fairly weak :( Maybe it should hang out with bromines to bulk up.

11:46 a.m.

Know we are going over "reactions of radicals" or, if you will, "free radical reactions." It doesn't matter which way you spin it, Rojas. These reactions are rebellious af.

11:47 a.m.

"I have a poem in my heart." Oh my gosh, he's reciting Edna St. Vincent Millay in honor of Earth Day! This man is an angel. A chemistry angel visiting Earth to enrich the lives of sad students. Bless him.

11:49 a.m.

After he finished his poem, a girl behind me said, "Who wouldn't marry him?"

Orgo wasn't soul crushing, but that's probably because I'm not actually in the class or expected to take the final next week. I can honestly say that I did not understand 98 percent of class, but I admire Rojas for trying to make the topic more approachable.

To all of you pre-meds: you got this, and if you don't, Puffs tissues are better suited to dry your tears than Kleenex. If you want to take a study break, be sure to check out our liveblog of the band's Orgo Night. It might not help you pass the exam, but it'll be full of inappropriate and borderline offensive jokes.

Here are my notes and a bomb bunny that I drew when he told us to finish drawing an alkyne bond:

Last week, Camille Sanches, CC '18, audited Gulati's Principles of Economics class. For more info on classes and professors, check out Courses@CU.

All gifs via giphy.com.

auditing orgo is it a normal thing to sew a mole