*|MC:SUBJECT|*
Who is Spec endorsing for CCSC and SGA elections?
Today's forecast: Sunny with a high of 61 degrees
View this email in your browser
@sney94 / via Instagram

Your 4/18 Wake Up Call

The weather's been so nice lately, but apparently it's supposed to get cold again tomorrow?

Chaos at the Registrar’s Office! First-years were accidentally given registration appointments before sophomores, meaning underclassmen would be able to claim places in selective classes before upperclassmen. The Office of the University Registrar hopped on the issue and fixed the registration schedule Monday night.

Who should you vote for? Since the polls for CCSC and SGA open on Wednesday, make sure you know a bit about each of the candidates—here’s a bit about the people running for student council positions and which candidates Spec endorses.

So when am I supposed to register? Now that we’ve fixed the  registration times debacle, when’s your appointment? Tl;dr: Rising juniors register today, and sophomores register tomorrow.

You just got rejected: Is Apartheid Divest’s referendum proposal apolitical? CCSC’s Vice President for Finance Anuj Sharma, CC ’17, sure thinks so.

Graduation’s around the corner: In the wake of a rapidly approaching graduation date, columnist Rekha Kennedy, CC ’17, makes the active choice to embrace the remaining uncertainties in her life.

Crabby next-door neighbors: We finally know what’s moving in next to The Heights–– Shaking Crab! The seafood bar has a location in Flushing, where it serves Cajun-style seafood such as crab, lobster, and shrimp. Things are getting ~fishy~ here in MoHi.

LateNite laugh: What’s better than a night of making fun of columbia buy sell memes and heteronormativity? LateNite, an undergraduate theater and comedy group, performed several comedic plays over the weekend in its spring anthology, covering everything from flowers dropping acid to satirical ADP references.

Quad was popping: Did you hear the music coming from the Barnard Quad on Saturday? It was WBAR-B-Q, an annual spring concert run by Barnard’s radio station. The performance featured a lineup of eight performers, including two student artists.

Spitting Columbia slang: Do you know what all of these Columbia acronyms and slang words mean? Check out CU vocab in Required Reading.

Mural under Altschul? Things got artsy in the Altschul Tunnel Gallery, where six students created a mural called “The Interview.” Interviews with the student artists were pasted on the wall next to their works.

Ready for accepted students’ day? Barnard’s second accepted students’ day is this weekend, so make sure you know what to expect. (Or if you can’t make it to MoHi, find out what the regional accepted students’ programs will be like.)

Required Reading

Congratulations to the newly admitted class of 2021! We think Columbia’s great, but there’s still a lot you need to consider before putting down your deposit. Subscribe to Required Reading to get a glimpse of what life is really like here at CU.

Pro tip of the day

Right-brained requirements: It might be the first day of course registration, but many of you probably don’t have your courses sorted out yet. If you’re still trying to find a course to fulfill Barnard’s arts and humanities req, here are some of our suggestions for fall 2017.

Events and opportunities

Discussion: Veritas Spring Forum: Seeking Truth (Albert and Halvorson)
8 - 10 p.m. in Roone Arledge Auditorium

Panel: Capturing New York: Photography Talk
8 - 9:30 p.m. in the Hamilton Hall lobby

Panel: The Earth Institute Fellows Symposium
1 - 3 p.m. in Alfred Lerner Hall

Conversation: Gay-Xit: The future of LGBTQ Rights after Marriage Equality
1 - 2 p.m. at SIPA

Snapchat of the day

Setup has begun.
Graduation’s in a month!
Peace, class of 2017

Get in the Wake Up Call

• Tag us on Instagram @CUspectrum to submit your Instas for header images.
  • Message us on Facebook with links to your events or opportunities.
  • Snapchat us @CUspectrum for Snapchats of the day.