Around Campus
@rosayryan / via Instagram

Congratulations on getting into Barnumbia! Whether you’re still trying to decide or are 100 percent certain you want to come to MoHi next semester, Required Reading can help you learn as much about CU as possible. Subscribe to get all this info sent directly to your inbox.

Welcome to Barnard! Whether you’ve been sold on Barnard since the beginning or you’re interested in learning more now, attending one of the admitted students’ days is a great way to determine if Barnard really is the right place for you.

Barnard has three types of programs for admitted students: overnight and day programs on campus, as well as regional programs that take place around the country. The one you go to will give you a different look at what life is really like here, but each of them is valuable in its own way. Here’s what you should expect from each.

Overnight programs

These programs are really great for giving you a glimpse into the daily lives of Barnard students. After all, college is about more than just classes, and making sure you can live happily in Barnard’s Quad is just as important as making sure you can keep up with the academics.

In the overnight programs, you can count on meeting a ton of other admitted students who are equally serious about attending Barnard. You’ll also have the very cool opportunity to meet and chat with current Barnard students and faculty members, all of whom are excited to share their stories and experiences with you.

These programs will show off a lot of the Barnumbia community, so expect to attend some panels that will tell you a bit about the academic and social scenes on campus, as well as what your life as a first-year will look like. However, much of your time during the overnight programs will actually be spent just exploring campus and the city. You’ll get tours of MoHi, traverse the city, attend shows on campus by current students, and so much more.

Day programs

Barnard’s day programs tend to focus more on general academic and campus life around Barnard, whereas the overnight programs attempt to give you a holistic look at the life of a first-year. If you attend a day program, your morning is usually spent learning about campus (such as by going on a tour of Barnard and Columbia’s campuses) and a panel discussion about academic life here.

After lunch in the Quad, you’ll get a chance to go inside a Barnard residence hall and see the rooms you may be living in. After that, you can expect to attend a panel about the diversity of Barnard students.

To end the day, you’ll be given a quick tour of Morningside Heights. Expect to stop by some of students’ favorite stops and shops (maybe even Insomnia Cookies).

And if you can’t make some of the pre-scheduled day programs but still want to experience a day on campus, reach out to Barnard admissions—they can help you create a schedule for a day on campus, and can arrange for you to be given a tour and sit in on a class.

Regional programs

If you can’t make it to NYC, Barnard holds accepted student receptions around the country. These are a great way to start meeting other Barnard prospies and alums. (Bonus: These events are usually held at alums’ houses, so you can expect to establish Barnard connections right as you walk through the door!)

For these events, be sure to be yourself and remain open to meeting others! You’re all just there to figure out whether Barnard is the right place for you. Because these events can be a lot smaller than the other accepted students programs (and these students are probably from right near your home area), you may even form a really close bond with them.

Remember that, at the end of the day, your experience at college is yours and nobody else’s. Spectrum’s advice to you is to focus on how you feel on campus and with the people you meet. Also, though the amount of people you’ll meet may seem overwhelming, don’t let that dissuade you. If you go home with just a couple of new contacts, that’s OK. If you go home with a ton, that’s fine, too. Use these opportunities to help you decide whether you could spend the next four years here.

Coming to accepted students’ day? Let us know on our Facebook, Twitter, and Snapchat @CUSpectrum.

Mariella Evangelista is a Barnard first year and a Spectrum staff writer. She wants to give a big shoutout to the wonderful women in Barnard’s class of 2021 who helped her out with this info. She’s happy to answer any questions you have regarding Barnard, Spectator, or life in general (though no promises she’ll be right). Reach her at mariella.evangelista@columbiaspectator.com

required reading class of 2021 barnard accepted students days