*|MC:SUBJECT|*
Get distracted when you study in your room? This should be able to help
Today's forecast: Ditched class all semester? Don’t let that affect your grad.
View this email in your browser
@thatgirlainsley / via Instagram

Your 4/25 Wake Up Call

Leave it up to the weather to put a damper on these last few days of classes.

Is Orgo Night a go? Orgo Night is happening in two weeks, but the University is upholding its decision to prevent the marching band from entering the library. A bunch of Marching Band alumni and current members, who call themselves Hamiltonius, have been sending essays to PrezBo, Provost Coatsworth, and Vice Provost and University Librarian Ann Thornton calling for the performance to be held in Butler.

Have your folks booked a hotel for graduation? They’re going to need one if they want to see you walk across that stage at Commencement. Check out these nearby hotels.

Barnard’s Top 10: Drum roll, please. Barnard’s Phi Beta Kappa list of inductees was announced! Membership is exclusive af––only the top 10 percent of the graduating class get in.

Polarity on CU’s political scene: What’s it like to be the leader of a student political group, such as the CU College Republicans and CU Dems?

Messy elections: Considering the contested conduct of this year’s student council elections, Columbia Elections Board chair Charlie Kang, CC ’19, calls upon students to rise above pettiness and be supportive of one another.

Wrapping up: As the semester winds down, columnist Jarett Poliner, CC ’19, talks about what he’s learned from writing his column and discusses what students need to do to keep an open mind and a positive attitude.

Cabin fever… not: The library’s overrated. Well, during finals at least. It’s almost impossible to find a seat, and if by some miracle you do, there are always so many people in such a small space. Here’s how you can start studying in your room instead (and without getting distracted).

Art meets neuroscience: Nobel prize-winning professor Eric Kandel gave a lecture on the intersection of neuroscience and art. You can also find him at the new Zuckerman Mind Brain Behavior Institute in Manhattanville.

The thesis crunch is over! Check out the fruits of six senior visual arts majors’ labor in the LeRoy Neiman Gallery in Dodge Hall—the exhibit is bound to stir up some conversation.

Building up resistance: Architecture students are experimenting with how they can use their major to create active resistance to the Trump administration.

Required Reading

Congratulations to the newly admitted class of 2021! We think Columbia’s great, but there’s still a lot you need to consider before putting down your deposit. Subscribe to Required Reading to get a glimpse of what life is really like here at CU.

Pro tip of the day

Ditched class all semester? Learn how to study effectively for your final even when you missed more than half the lectures. Oops.

Events and opportunities

Panel: Poetics of Justice: Claudia Rankine and Dionne Brand
6 - 7:30 p.m. at Barnard Center for Research on Women

Lecture: Rape, Popular Culture & Post-Racial America
6 - 8 p.m. in Low Library

Snapchat of the day

We're all pining for those elementary school days now. How the turntables.

Get in the Wake Up Call

• Tag us on Instagram @CUspectrum to submit your Instas for header images.
  • Message us on Facebook with links to your events or opportunities.
  • Snapchat us @CUspectrum for Snapchats of the day.