In the Loop
@fionabky / via Instagram

Good afternoon. And it is a very good afternoon, because after today there is one, I repeat, just one day of classes left in the school year.

But before you start buckling down for finals, get caught up on the shenanigans that went down this week. Here’s your final Week in Review for the semester.

For students seeking mental health care, help can be weeks away

April 27, 2017 | Rahil Kamath | Jaime Danies

If you’ve ever been to CPS, you know that it can be a bit difficult to get a one-on-one appointment—many people are forced to wait anywhere from two to four weeks to meet with a clinician.

This is likely due to the fact that students are using CPS much more than they have in the past, CPS is only open during the weekdays (when classes take place), and there is a multi-step triage system in place before students even get an in-person appointment. 

Students condemn Columbia’s statue of Thomas Jefferson as racist, sexist

April 25, 2017 | Aaron Holmes | Michael Edmonson

It’s no secret that Thomas Jefferson kept slaves. Recently, the student group Mobilized African Diaspora publicly denounced the University’s statue of Jefferson outside of the Journalism School, saying that its presence validates racism. Earlier in the month, the group went so far as to drape a KKK robe over the statue’s head.

MAD hasn’t directly asked the University to remove the statue, but it has asked that it “acknowledge and address” Jefferson’s history with slavery.

Barnard tuition set to increase by 4.6 percent for 2017-2018 school year

April 25, 2017 | Ainsley Bandrowski | Katherine Gerberich

Barnard’s tuition—which has risen by 25 percent since 2010—for the 2017-2018 school year will now be $50,882, a 4.6 percent increase from the 2016-2017 year. Why does it keep going up? A handful of reasons, one of which is to accommodate the new contingent faculty union contract, which promises larger salaries and increased benefits for contingent faculty.

In addition to the tuition increase, housing has also become more expensive, as has the first-year platinum meal plan. However, the good news is that Barnard students can now use their swipes on guests in the dining halls.

Fast-casual Chinese restaurant Junzi Kitchen to open in early May

April 25, 2017 | Sophie Kossakowski | Trinity Lester

In case you were bored by the food offerings in MoHi, a new restaurant will be opening on the block in early May (hey, that’s just a few weeks away). Junzi Kitchen was started by three Yale graduate students, and its menu will focus on food inspired by traditional Chinese street food, such as noodle bowls with seasonal meats, chun bing wraps, and mala noodles.

Baseball vies with Penn for Ivy Championship spot

April 27, 2017 | Dylan Russian | Ben Goldsmith

A spot in the Ivy League Championship is on the line this weekend. In order to get in, the baseball team must go 3-1 against Penn. If they do 2-2 or worse, the season will be over, and Penn will get the spot in the tournament. The team’s remaining optimistic though, as it just came off a 4-0 sweep against Princeton last weekend.

Set up a finals study/relaxation schedule that you’ll actually stick to

April 26, 2017 | Veronica Grace Taleon | @columbia / via Instagram

Reading week commences next Tuesday! Don’t just wing it though—with a little preparation now, you can soar through next week as pain free as possible. Start setting up a studying (and relaxing) schedule for the next two weeks on your calendar. First, pencil in your final exams, then any other mandatory obligations for the week, then when you want to relax, and then finally devote whatever time remains to prepping for your tests.

That’s it for this week, and for this semester. Well, not really. The news never sleeps, so we’ll still be posting every now and again. (We definitely will be at Spectrum—check back in a few days for our final exam series and our coverage of Orgo Night.)

How excited are you that this is one of the last days of classes? Tell us about it on our Facebook, Twitter, or Snapchat @CUSpectrum.

Veronica Grace Taleon is Spectrum’s editor and a Barnard sophomore. Reach her at veronica.taleon@columbiaspectator.com.

In the Loop week in review squib thomas jefferson cps baseball barnard tuition