Take a Break
Yasmine Akki/ Senior Staff Photographer / Amanda Frame/Senior Staff Illustrator

Let me guess: You’re drowning in papers and midterms. The good news is that midterm season also means that spring break is right around the corner. Whether you are going home, vacationing somewhere tropical, or staying in New York City, Spectrum’s got you covered and will help you be the best “Spring Breakers” you can possibly be.

If you’ve opted to stay put for break, here are some staff picks of where to go and what to do in New York City this March. Your staycation is about to put your friends’ beach-romping to shame.

Intimate gigs and concerts

Personally recommended to us by a Spectrum trainee, Marco, Sofar Sounds hosts intimate, eclectic, and chill gigs all throughout NYC. After a long day of exploration in Flushing, Williamsburg, or Soho, you can always tune in for laid-back, chill shows, spoken word performances, and intimate small-scale concerts in any neighborhood of your choosing. Rumor has it that certain performances have even been held in a yoga studio (??!) There is a show almost every day, in a new mystery location each time. If you subscribe to them, you’ll be notified on the day of—a pretty ideal fallback if you’re not entirely sure where your night is going to take you.

Artistic and literary events

Museums might seem a dime a dozen in NYC, but if you check out some of the special events they host (particularly the MoMA and Whitney), you’ll definitely be able to spice up your artistic and literary repertoire! Whether you are in the mood for a film screening at the MoMA, a daytime class on modern art, a dance performance at MoMA PS1, or a conversation with Rebecca Solnit—the author of Men Explain Things to Me—at the Whitney, the options are endless. Take your artsy self to the next level!

Flushing: An alternative to Chinatown

Still obsessing over the last authentic, silky, rich boba you got? Ever craving hot pot and unsatisfied with that new place on 108th (RIP Cannon’s)? Is your mind still lingering over the juicy, delicious soup dumplings but looking for a cheaper alternative to La Salle? Your next destination should definitely be the Flushing neighborhood of Queens. It’s a more authentic alternative to Chinatown in which you can satisfy all your cravings. Dim sum, shabu-shabu, Korean barbecue… Flushing has it all and will please both your stomach and wallet!

If you haven’t been to Smorgasburg yet, you are missing out! Smorgasburg is the largest open air food market in America. It takes place in Industry City in Brooklyn every Saturday and Sunday. There are over 100 vendors present, including Destination Dumplings, Dulcinea Churros, Pop Pasta (which sells pasta donuts!), Rutte’s Dutch Waffles, and Ube Kitchen (featuring a delicious Ube ice cream over an Acai bowl). Spend a day in Brooklyn filled with unique fusion foods without having to leave the comfort of the indoors (the outdoor Williamsburg market doesn’t reopen until the weekend after break).

Canal Street Market

Craving the delicious food offered in Chinatown but also wanting to go burn some holes in your pockets in SoHo? Meet in the middle and check out Canal Street Market, where you get the best of both worlds. Curating a variety of hip and independent brands and designers, as well as vendors like the Boba Guys, Luke’s Lobster, and Davey’s Ice Cream, the market is the perfect intersection between fashion and gourmet. Brace yourself for a full day of retail therapy, followed promptly by a food coma.

There you have it! These are just five out of many ways you can spice up your staycation and make the most of this stress-free week in the city. We hope with these suggestions, you’ll come back from break with full hearts and full stomachs, and brace yourself for the official arrival of spring!

staycation nyc columbia barnard spring break spring mental breakdown flushing queens whitney museum moma chinese food canal street market