Cherrie Zheng / Staff Photographer

We get it: You’re stressed because of midterms. You’ve eaten nothing but JJ’s for six days. And in spite of those two pretty prohibiting factors, you are determined to get toned before spring break.

Fortunately, you can actually de-stress with this 20-minute workout that you can perform literally anywhere on campus! Whether you are walking between classes or in your dorm, this workout will be the perfect fit to get you fit. Your instructors, Naina and Nafisa, demonstrate every step of the ensemble below, so you’ve got no excuses not to start this instant—you don’t even need gym clothes.

Cherrie Zheng

Plank (Abs)

The plank is popular because it’s simple. This workout move strengthens your core and tightens your tummy.

We suggest doing a plank on any bench around campus. Here’s how: go into the standard plank position. Propping yourself on your forearms, hold your upper body in a straight line, keeping your back completely flat. Try not to arch or round your back. Keep your elbows shoulder width apart, flat on the bench. Ensure that your thighs, knees and calves are lifted up in the air. Look at the floor so your neck and spine are neutralized.

Cherrie Zheng

Bench Dips (Arms)

Do you have 15 minutes to spare before your political science class? Do a bench dip on the beautiful and oh-so-practical benches outside the International Affairs Building. Here’s how: Sit on the side of the bench and place your hands on the edge. Position your feet away from the bench and straighten your arms. Slide your butt off the bench and rest your heels on the floor, keeping your legs straight. You might even catch the attention of a cute international grad student––so, like, try not to fall.

Cherrie Zheng

Lunges on Low (Legs)

Low Beach or Venice Beach? Doesn’t matter. We suggest doing lunges on Low Steps. Here’s how: Start with your feet shoulder width apart, keep your spine straight and shoulders back. Step forward, about two to three feet, with one leg into a wide stance while maintaining spine alignment. Finally, lower your hips until both knees are bent at a 90-degree angle. Make sure your front knee doesn’t extend over your ankle!

Cherrie Zheng

Lifts (Legs)

One of the most annoying moments of the day is waiting in an elevator which seems to be taking forever to reach the sixth floor. (Hamilton, anyone?) Use your time productively and do some leg lifts in the lift! Here’s how: lift your right leg up to the barre (read: handrail of the elevator). Keep your back and spine upright. You can put your left hand on your waist or on the barre if you need extra support. Squat down and do a set of 10 pliés. Switch legs and repeat.

Cherrie Zheng

Squats on Lerner Ramp (Butt)

The ramps of Lerner are too aesthetic to pass up a work out opportunity––plus, they’re made of glass, so everyone will see how #motivated you are. We suggest squats before you fill yourself at Ferris. Stand with feet a little wider than shoulder-width apart, hips stacked over knees, and knees over ankles. Roll the shoulders back and down away from the ears. Extend arms out straight so they are parallel with the ground, palms facing down. Initiate the movement by inhaling and unlocking the hips, slightly bringing them back. Keep sending hips backward as the knees begin to bend. While the butt starts to stick out, make sure the chest and shoulders stay upright, and the back stays straight. Keep the head facing forward with eyes straight ahead for a neutral spine., | @cuspectrum

spectrum columbia barnard workout fitness health wellness